>Some really sick crap......
>
>http://www.cdfe.org/
>
>Pick a link. According to these asinigned zealots the sypmtoms are the cause
>of the disease.

Some of them may be zealots, but I think most of them are just...
damn, the term that's used is "whores", but that's an abusive term
for prostitutes and using it this way defames them: it implies
dishonesty and carries contempt, which is unjust. Can't think of an
apt term for these folks. "Whores" then, for now, with due
reservation.

>Think I'd rather bed down with the Taliban. At least their doctrine has some
>assemblance of social order and construct other than exploiting anything and
>everything for a buck.
>
>There are terrorists and then there are terrorists.
>
>Todd Swearingen
>Appal Energy

The Taliban is more honest - whatever their principles and actions
might be (execrable in many ways), they at least hold to them because
they believe in them, not because they're paid to. Though they did
accept rather a lot of millions of dollars in US support... but you
didn't see them spouting a lot of US propaganda as a result. I don't
think they're any worse than Christian fundamentalist extremists or
any other kind of fundamentalist extremists, maybe not as bad in some
ways. ("Keith supports Taliban!" LOL!)

Are the Taliban terrorists though? They did and do support Al-Qaeda,
which is also a creation of US funding and support, and possibly more
than that. The US is itelf a major supporter of terrorists, from the
mujahideen to Fort Benning, and much more besides. ("Ah, but they're
*our* terrorists." For now maybe...) But I don't think the Taliban
itself has been guilty of terrorism.

Whereas the Center for the Defense of Free Enterprise and its ilk...
"Since the late 1980's, CDFE has been at the center of the Wise Use
movement. CDFE was originally founded by Alan Gottlieb July 4, 1976.
The Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizen's Committee for the
Right to Keep and Bear Arms were founded at the same time, and CDFE
is still affiliated with both gun groups. According to the New York
Times, Gottlieb shifted his focus to environmentalism when he
realized the fundraising potential. The New York Times wrote, "For
conservative fundraisers like Mr. Gottlieb, the enemies were Senator
Edward M. Kennedy and the threat of gun control. But now Mr. Gottlieb
has found a better target. 'For us' said Mr. Gottlieb...'the
environmental movement has become the perfect bogeyman.'" CDFE is a
501(c)3 tax-exempt organization."

The Taliban are not whores.

Are people like CDFE terrorists? I think so. This is terrorism:

12/19/03
BOOK REVIEWS
Eco-Imperialism: Green Power, Black Death
Read the rave reviews of Paul Driessen's new book that exposes the
green racist agenda to withhold malaria control and life-saving GMO
crops from Africa and other developing nations. A horrifying account
of green genocide.

Inasmuch as info-toxins like this convince the gullible, which
clearly they do, people's lives and livelihoods are destroyed en
masse. The malaria-control bit is pro-DDT, which is an environmental
disaster - great stuff for small-farmer communities entirely
dependent on a healthy and functioning ecology. The pro-DDT lobbying
is helping to hold up research on far more promising solutions
without the unacceptable costs, such as this, yesterday:
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/24455/story.htm
Studies Show Promise in Fight Against Malaria

I've got a whole file of stuff like that, and what's obvious is that
not nearly enough funding is going into it, despite the huge death
toll and its crippling effect - there's more money in DDT.

"Life-saving GMO crops"? The Africans don't think so, and withstood
immense US pressure in the face of a famine to reject them. In India,
this is what happens:

"One video project currently underway is a series monthly interviews
with cotton farmers accompanied by filming of their transgenic Bt
Cotton crops as they have been growing over the current season. Even
before the season is over, the videos are recording the changing mood
of the farmers as it turns from enthusiasm to disappointment. Once
the cotton is harvested (if there is still cotton to harvest, the
results have been so poor so far) the video will be used as part of
the campaign against genetically engineered crops. A preliminary
report has already been prepared by three scientists and reported in
New India Express. On the same day, The Hindu reported the suicides
of three farmers."

There have been thousands of farmer suicides because of this. That
GMOs will help prevent famine in the 3rd World is a lie, and a
murderous one. Rolling back health and environmental controls on
hazardous chemicals by means of further paid-for lies is also
murderous.

But maybe that's not really terrorism - terrorism is indeed killing
innocent civilians, but usually in pursuit of a political agenda, not
just because you're paid to. We really do need a new term for this.

"Wise Use" Thought for the Day:

"'Precautionary Principle.' This misguided maxim argues that, based
on the fear that something harmful may *possibly* arise, we should
opt for technological paralysis."
-- Center for Consumer Freedom

For antidote, see:
http://www.rachel.org/bulletin/index.cfm?issue_ID=2387
Corporate Campaign Against Precaution

Center for Consumer Freedom

The Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) (formerly called the "Guest
Choice Network") is a front group for the restaurant, alcohol and
tobacco industries. It runs media campaigns which oppose the efforts
of scientists, doctors, health advocates, environmentalists and
groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving, calling them "the Nanny
Culture - the growing fraternity of food cops, health care enforcers,
anti-meat activists, and meddling bureaucrats who 'know what's best
for you.' "

CCF is one of the more active of several front groups created by
Berman & Co., a public affairs firm owned by lobbyist Rick Berman.
Based in Washington, DC, Berman & Co. represents the tobacco industry
as well as hotels, beer distributors, taverns, and restaurant chains.

The group actively opposes smoking bans and lowering the legal
blood-alcohol level, while targeting studies on the dangers of red
meat consumption, overfishing and pesticides. Each year they give out
the "nanny awards" to groups who, according to them, try to tell
consumers how to live their lives.

Anyone who criticizes tobacco, alcohol, fatty foods or soda pop is
likely to come under attack from CCF. Its enemies list has included
such diverse groups and individuals as the Alliance of American
Insurers; the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons; the American
Medical Association; the Arthritis Foundation; the Consumer
Federation of America; New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani; the Harvard
School of Public Health; the Marin Institute for the Prevention of
Alcohol and Other Drug Problems; the National Association of High
School Principals; the National Safety Council; the National
Transportation Safety Board; the Office of Highway Safety for the
state of Georgia; Ralph Nader's group, Public Citizen; the U.S.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); and the U.S.
Department of Transportation.

In a 1999 interview with the Chain Leader, a trade publication for
restaurant chains, Berman boasted that he attacks activists more
aggressively than other lobbyists. "We always have a knife in our
teeth," he said. Since activists "drive consumer behavior on meat,
alcohol, fat, sugar, tobacco and caffeine," his strategy is "to shoot
the messenger. ... We've got to attack their credibility as
spokespersons."

In a May 11, 2002 San Francisco Chronicle article, CCF spokesman John
Doyle responded to questions about nationwide radio ads put out by
the group. He said the ads were meant to attract people to their
website and "draw attention to our enemies: just about every consumer
and environmental group, chef, legislator or doctor who raises
objections to things like pesticide use, genetic engineering of crops
or antibiotic use in beef and poultry."

http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Center_for_Consumer_Freedom
Disinfopedia

All the same, eh? Shoot the messenger, knife in our teeth. Just like
CDFE's Ron Arnold, out to kill everyone with a sword and so on. Not
just talk, not just a figure of speech.

Best