Hello Ed

I don't think anyone here has said or implied that "all companies and
the people working for them, even large multinational megabuck
outfits, are inherently evil, nor all industrial processes". If they
had I'd have argued with them, that would be thoroughly stupid. To
discuss the role and position of corporations in society and the
economy as is often done here is a different matter. That it's found
wanting does not automatically damn all corporations. Generalisations
may be odious but if you don't generalise you can't do patterns, and
then you can't understand anything. It's obvious that you have to
remain fully aware of the difference between the general and the
particular.

>Hi again, Keith:
>
>Yes, I agree, it's not what anyone needs to have a private concern
>supplying the drinking water to those who can afford to pay (that's why
>the bit in brackets, below....and I expect you're right on the last
>bit, for the most part.
>
>Sometimes it pays to know, though, that not all companies and the
>people working for them, even large multinational megabuck outfits, are
>inherently evil, nor are all industrial processes, and sometimes
>there's a good case to be made. If that's the situation, then I don't
>think you can fault anyone for providing or taking training to present
>their case, anticipate reaction, plan for it, prevent it from
>occurring, etc. (Not to say you're wrong about the particular courses
>and intent of this particular group, but speaking more generally)

Nobody claimed that either. Seems to me you're getting a bit
distracted from the point of all this. Of course there's nothing
wrong with executives learning corporate communications skills. But
there's a LOT wrong with what HCRA teaches them, and why. And it's
rather easy to tell the difference. Similarly if a bit of
corporateering spin gets debunked, there's hardly a need to go on and
on about how the other "side" also does it. We know that. Politicians
do it, religions do it, everyone does it to some extent. What's it
got to do with <PM2.5? For that matter, where's the even remotely
comparable amount of enviro-spin over <PM2.5 and clean air issues?
Club Sierra's diesel-bashing? Don't make me laugh.

>One side spins, the other side weaves, and the public gets to try on
>the clothes...the more aware people are, as you say, of what all goes
>into the forming of "opinion", the better off we are.

Again I'll take issue with your apparent positioning of the two
"sides" as those of a coin, with equal weight and value. You're
comparing a shark to a guppy. Follow the money - don't even bother,
just look at the results in the other post in this thread, from Brian
(there's a whole bunch of them in the archives, just like that). Do
you think the "enviroids" (language!) ever achieve results like that,
or on anything like such a scale? Compared with the Wise Use movement
they're pathetic, and Wise Use is just the tip of very large iceberg.
Controlling enviro-spin is a minor problem, but this is a very major
problem: "The 20th century has been characterized by three
developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy,
the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda
as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy. (Alex
Carey) If - IF - that could be controlled, at this late stage, most
of the enviro-spin would fade away anyway, a lot of it's just a
reaction to being so heavily outgunned. One thing Ed, please note,
you've just said you're "green", I've quite often rejected that
label, so please don't accuse me of defending them - I regularly
attack them.

>Is "it" true, legitimate? Spin? Outright BS? Well, the more we pay
>attention, and get ourselves equipped to discern, the more we might be
>able to sift out the grains of truth and make better decisions for
>ourselves and future generations.

Indeed. Case by case.

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511