"bk":

We're discussing the use and misuse of "scientific research" to back a
claim that a certain fuel (natural gas) in a diesel engine is actually
"cleaner" in some ways, but may in fact pose a greater health risk,
from it's own emissions profile, than the original problem fuel
("diesel fuel")... not building a bridge, or chemical reactions.

The idea that you can have a scientific study, in any case,  that
provides results that other researchers challenge as being flawed or
biased is hardly a new or unusual concept.

I can give you a set of numbers, to believe in on the topic, if you
wish,  in fact, I did.

Keith was aware that the source was perhaps not as credible as it
appeared, and correctly posted this information. Other researchers
would get varying results on the same issue in any case, often in spite
of their best efforts and intentions to produce good quality, unbiased
data.

If you base your  beliefs and decisions on one set of results only,
from one source, the one that by happy coincidence agrees with your
preconceived ideas of what you wanted to see (or what you perceived the
boss or client wanted to see), then have a happy life and go build
another "Galloping Gertie".

http://www.civeng.carleton.ca/Exhibits/Tacoma_Narrows/

  But you may be quite disappointed or embarrassed, or out a lot of
money, time and effort,  when someone stands up with some very good
research that perhaps refutes what you've been going with....and
hopefully they do that, and you accept it gracefully before you send
people across your engineering masterpiece that was all based on your
set of "facts".

(Not a flame, just defending my comments, sir)

Edward Beggs