Kim,

Here is an outline from a friend of mine in India where biogas technology is
quite standard.  1 Kg of starch or sugar produces about 400 liters of high
quality biogas in about 8 hours which should be sufficient to cook your meals
for the next day.  It may require more manure by weight depending upon the
volatile solids in the manure.

The system is pressurized by the weight of the top drum which serves as a gas
holder.

   The biogas plant is a standard, moving dome type of a biogas plant.
It can be fabricated, using two barrels,  both of about 200 liter
capacity. Such barrels are available in different sizes, being used as
domestic water tanks. One of the barrels should have a slightly smaller
diameter than the other, so that it can telescope into the broader
barrel. One end of both the barrels is cut open. The broader barrel is
kept on the ground with the open end pointing upwards. This barrels
serves to hold the fermenting liquid.The narrower barrel is slid into
the steel barrel with its open end pointing downwards. It serves as the
gas holder. If two such barrels are not available, one can construct the
broader container out of bricks and cement mortar. The fermenter barrel
is provided with an L shaped inlet pipe, that is 5 cm wide. The
horizontal arm of the L should be about 40 cm long and the vertical arm
should be 100 cm long. It requires some plumbing skill to fit the inlet
pipe. For fitting the inlet pipe, a hole of adequate diameter is cut
into the vertical side of the barrel, as near the base as possible.  The
outer barrel is also provided with an outlet pipe near its top end,
through which the effluent slurry can flow out. The inner barrel, that
serves as the gas holder, is provided with a gas tap, fitted at the
topmost part of the barrel. The gas is supplied to the burner through
this tap.  The gas holder barrel is weighed down by means of a sack
filled with sand or any other material, weighing about 20 kg.  In this
way, the gas is provided to the burner under a certain constant
pressure. In India, one can buy a special domestic biogas burner for
this gas, but if that is not available, one can use an LPG burner, with
the pin-hole nipple removed.
   To start the system, an aqueous slurry made of about 200 litres of
water, about 10 kg cattle dung and about 200 grams of flour of any
starchy material, is poured into the system through the inlet pipe. The
gas cock of the gas holder barrel is kept open, while filling the
slurry. After filling the slurry, the gas tap is closed.  The
fermentation process produces gas which will accumulate in the gas
holder and lift it up. Test this gas for its combustibility. It may
happen, that the gas produced during the first few days does not burn.
Just let it exhaust by opening the gas tap so that the gas holder barrel
sinks back into the outer barrel. But then do not forget to close the
gas tap. Add daily about 200 g of flour, after mixing it with about a
litre of water, to the fermenter, through the inlet pipe. Use a plunger
to push the flour slurry into the barrel. Otherwise it would remain in
the inlet pipe and ferment inside the pipe. Once the system starts to
produce combustible gas, increase the amount of flour to daily 500
grams.  Flour always contains a small quantity of protein, which gives
rise to a small amount of H2S and NH3, which produce foul odour.
Therefore the gas plant cannot be kept inside an unventilated kitchen.
One should keep it outside the house, just beneath the kitchen window,
and take the gas into the kitchen by means of a rubber pipe.
There was a comment about the amount of methane produced by the system.
It is right that one should get about  400 litres of methane from 1 kg
starch or sugar, but the astonishing thing was that the gas that one
obtained from this system consisted of almost pure methane. What happens
to the carbon dioxide? I assume that it is dissolved in water and just
diffuses out of the system.

Have fun but just don't blow yourself up.   :-)

Art Krenzel