Hello Marc

>Thanks for the answers they are helpfull im very impressed with what
>I see on  the"journey" website (always have been).

Thankyou! Glad to hear too that you're getting your project fully in
gear again, and adding biodiesel production.

>Yes Im a "newbie"
>to processing biodiesel but an oldie  on algaeculture technology for
>oil production and algae based " Living fuel cell" technology.
>and..Of course, im an long time time distiller.. having produced
>ethanol for fuel and then organically certified pharmaceutical U.S.P.
>Grade ethanol... also.. im no stranger to methane digestors and
>gasifiers.
>
>      My bioregion is one of the most polluted in the U.S., my county
>and  three cities cities in it, are very proactive and are using all
>sorts of afv's and hybrid electrics.. The ethanol industry is
>dominated by the  big guys but I see a great opportunity to use our
>ethanol distillery to make a fair amount of Biodiesel (up to 7000
>gals per week eventually) and in fact we are prepared to do so
>Immediatly.
>      I have relatively close ties with some biodiesel experts who
>are going to assist us in start up.If our facilities were not also
>training facilities, I would not be so concerned about how I go about
>handling hazardous  chemicals as we are well equipped with hazmat
>protection having done a good deal of acid hydrolysis, but we are
>visited by a good many people here and expect that our  "Green Job"
>training programs will be very well attended ..so god forbid that we
>make errors in our process that could cause a disaster.

Professionally, they isolate the methanol/methoxide part of it with
argon. Or at least some of them do. Overkill for us, and for
small-scale local operations I think. It depends how you look at it I
suppose.

>    I am one who always beleives in  learning all I can from as many
>sources as possible that is why I am on various  related lists and
>this is one of the best ive found on biodiesel..

I'm glad you think so. It's about more than just biodiesel, but the
biodiesel resources and expertise here are good, it's really helped
push the technology forward in the last four years. I've learnt such
a lot from this list! The resources are the biodiesel section and the
Biofuels online library at Journey to Forever, which have benefited
greatly from list input, and I guess vice-versa, and the list
archives, which is huge (33,500 messages). The archives is VERY
useful!

But DON'T use Yahoo's archives. Apart from the ads, it searches the
archives in tiny steps of 50 or so messages at a time, so to do a
single search you'd need to hit 670 pages. Yahoo pages. Plus all the
ads. Useless. Use our independent archives, linked at the bottom of
every message:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/

This is an independent archives, provided and maintained by list
member Martin Klingensmith, with powerful, fast and efficient
one-time searching, and no ads. (Martin also hosts our website, and
Steve Spence's. Thankyou once again for everything Martin, I don't
know what we'd do without you.)

>there are others that
>I feel are a disgrace, carrying on like a bunch of brats.

There are only one or two culprits (which is all it takes), but
beyond that the Marie Celeste is not a good model for list
management, nor is Rip van Winkle. Hence those one or two can do
whatever they like there, no matter how deceitful or destructive. The
Internet is still a baby. Those guys would not be able to get away
with such behaviour in their real-world communities, they probably
wouldn't even consider it. All communities (local communities anyway,
if not nations) long ago developed structures for discouraging and
punishing sociopathic conduct. Such structures don't yet exist in the
virtual-world communities. They will in time, but until they do, and
normal social inhibitions apply, lists need active moderation. An
abandoned list is a disaster, and there's nothing that can be done
about it, though many have tried. Yahoo has never responded with
anything more than a cheery auto-response, even when Yahoo itself has
been at fault and shut owners out of their own lists by mistake (it
happens).

>but here on
>this list that kind of  banter seems less frequent  thank god...

Well, we do have our rows. It's odd that biofuels can be such a
contentious subject, but it certainly is one. Girl Mark (Maria
Alovert) once remarked that she didn't know of another subject which
attracted people of such different backgrounds (or words to that
effect). I guess she's right. Even just in the US that's true (or
some would say especially there), but biofuels is a global subject.
There are plenty of Middle Easterners here, Arabs, Muslims from all
over the world, plenty of right-wing Americans and other Westerners
too, all with strong views on such subjects as oil supplies, which of
course is very much on-topic here. For example. But all those people
are welcome here, of course. Not always easy.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511