I agree 100% with poverty being a primary factor in life
expectancy.  And, I agree that capitalism could cure poverty.  It's
about as likely to happen as communism curing poverty.  Either way,
it depends on the people in power being interested in the good of
society and making decisions based totally on what is right.
Capitalistic enterprises in which profit is reinvested rather than
used for multimillion dollar bonuses for the corporate heads could
do a great deal for the good of society.  If all decisions were
based on what is best for the corporation and society, such as
hiring the best person for the job regardless of race, sex, sexual
identity, creed, religion or lack of religion, the corporation would
undoubtedly grow.  Hence, greater revenues, greater reinvestment and
greater benefit to society.  In such a system, everyone would be
rewarded based on their actual contribution.  The worker on the fron
line would be fairly compensated, and there would be no need for
level upon level of complexity and beurocracy to administrate the
corporation.  Since everyone would realize that what is good for the
corporation is good for them, everyone would be doing their
individual best and all would prosper...

Wait a minute, this capitalism is sounding a lot like Karl Marx.  Is
it possible that all easy answers that ignore human nature are
flawed?  Did George Orwell know what he was talking about after
all?  Who would have thought?  Obviously not John Stossel.

Brian

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Morgan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wow, have any of you read his book?  Has anyone on the list read
it?  He has
> valid points, especially when it comes to risk aversion and the
means we go
> to to save ourselves from miniscule threats.  His whole point is
that the
> number one factor that decides how long we will live is whether or
not we
> live in poverty, and makes a great case for how capitalism saves
those who
> participate from poverty.  He talks about how government is
getting too big
> in this country, about how much money that gets wasted as they
fail time
> after time after time.  He talks about how the private sector can
do such a
> better job than the public sector of saving ourselves from
ourselves.  He
> even talks about ADM and their success in squashing competition by
using
> government subsidies on ethanol.  I encourage you to give it a
read, it may
> be eye opening, totally changed my view on Nader too.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ryan
Book, Give
> Me a Break
>

>   Crap,he sounds alot like Rush Limbaugh.
>   John
>
>   Appal Energy wrote:
>
>   >Ryan,
>   >
>   >Speaking only from personal experience, having worked
environmental
> issues
>   >for twenty some years, Stossel is a clown. He takes every valid
>   >scientific/social/economic argument on an issue that he is in
disfavor
> with,
>   >degrades them and particularly those who hold them with open
ridicule and
>   >belittlement, to the point that those who don't see a subject
his way are
>   >painted as radical, irratioinal, self-serving alarmists, at
least to the
>   >uninitiated and unaware.
>   >
>   >What he boils down to is notthing more than an opportunist
pursuing
>   >sensationalism and recognition at the expense of all else.
>   >
>   >Food irradiation? Toxic waste incinerators? Over fishing? Just
name a
>   >serious subject that can and does adversely affect human health
and
>   >livlihood and Stossel will attempt to turn it into a joke.
>   >
>   >His "insights are relative?" Only from the perspective of
sending up a
> flare
>   >as to how far some people/industries will go - how selective and
> deceptive
>   >they will present a matter in order to create an inordinantly
distorted
>   >perspective in the public eye - mis-information and dis-
information
>   >practiced as an art form to the detriment of the balance of
society.
>   >
>   >Todd Swearingen
>   >
Frankly, I'm a
>   >>
>   >>
>   >little
>   >
>   >
>   >>bit surprised by your reaction, Keith.
>   >>
>   >>Cheers,
>   >>
>   >>Ryan