Hi Brian

>I agree 100% with poverty being a primary factor in life
>expectancy.  And, I agree that capitalism could cure poverty.  It's
>about as likely to happen as communism curing poverty.  Either way,
>it depends on the people in power being interested in the good of
>society and making decisions based totally on what is right.
>Capitalistic enterprises in which profit is reinvested rather than
>used for multimillion dollar bonuses for the corporate heads could
>do a great deal for the good of society.  If all decisions were
>based on what is best for the corporation and society, such as
>hiring the best person for the job regardless of race, sex, sexual
>identity, creed, religion or lack of religion, the corporation would
>undoubtedly grow.  Hence, greater revenues, greater reinvestment and
>greater benefit to society.  In such a system, everyone would be
>rewarded based on their actual contribution.  The worker on the fron
>line would be fairly compensated, and there would be no need for
>level upon level of complexity and beurocracy to administrate the
>corporation.  Since everyone would realize that what is good for the
>corporation is good for them, everyone would be doing their
>individual best and all would prosper...
>
>Wait a minute, this capitalism is sounding a lot like Karl Marx.  Is
>it possible that all easy answers that ignore human nature are
>flawed?  Did George Orwell know what he was talking about after
>all?  Who would have thought?  Obviously not John Stossel.
>
>Brian

Obviously not, no.

How about this?

The Daily Reckoning
Productivity Explained In One Paragraph

THE DAILY RECKONING - Anyway, suppose you, as a successful capitalist
swine, hire a hundred guys to make a hundred widgets, and sell the
widgets for a dollar apiece, and thus GDP is $100. So far, so good.
Then a few days pass, and we wake up with a blinding headache in a
strange, seedy little hotel on the outskirts of town with a one-eyed
woman who says her name is Darla, and when we frantically call in to
the office, we find that you raised the price to two dollars, and you
also figured out a way to make widgets with only fifty employees! The
hike in price, unfortunately, reduces widget sales by 25%. But GDP
jumps to $150! And because you fired half the employees, labor costs
plummeted, and the next thing you know Alan Greenspan jumps on an
airplane and flies down to visit your factory and give you an award
as Proud Poobah of Productivity, which you deserve because
productivity has soared. In the old days, it took a hundred guys to
make a hundred widgets. Now it takes only fifty guys to make
seventy-five widgets, and you doubled the price to more than make up
for it. You're a genius! But unemployment is up by 50%, total sales
volume is down, and inflation has soared to 100%. Only a Fed chairman
as clueless as Alan Greenspan could possibly only see the upside in
this.

:-)

Or this maybe?

"Small-scale capitalism works out fine, but as scale increases the
departure from real capitalism becomes more pronounced---profits are
privatized, but costs are socialized. The attendant repair and
maintenance are left to succeeding generations if possible, if not,
to present low and middle income taxpayers." - Tvo

I'd venture that capitalism IS small-scale - "real" capitalism, as
Tvo says. This stuff of the neo-liberal camp is not capitalism, it's
corporatism, essentially a different animal (try an archive search
for "mammoth"... okay, it's here:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/30617/). "Corporateering" is a
more accurate term for this than "capitalism".

Which brings us back to Schumacher, of course. And Gandhi. As if
people mattered. Well, they do matter.

What brand of economics, unlike Greenspan's brand, might be able to
distinguish the difference in value, rather than mere cost, of a
sword and plowshare?

Do you know of the work of Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen?

http://cepa.newschool.edu/het/profiles/georgescu.htm
Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen, 1906-1994

There's some of his work here:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/30402/
Selections from "Energy and Economic Myths" by Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen

His inheritors are the ecological economists, such as Herman Daly,
Robert Costanza, Michael T. Klare, Joshua Farley and others.

I'll post some more about them following this message.

 From Here to Economy
The Wealth of Nature
At What Cost? - Costanza
The Skeptical Economist - Farley