>biobenz wrote:
>
> >Doug;
> >
> >Of course it is not lost that the fact that you haven't run a virus
> >checker leaves you in the absolute dark as to whether or not your PC
> >is loaded with spyware/adware ect...
> >How do you know? You could be the trap door to the mountains of spam
> >that get sent via infected machines every day.
> >The only reason we hear more about MS getting hit by hackers so much
> >is because that's what the majority of the world is using. Linux or
> >

>And because they don't fix security holes.
>
> >Mac are NOT immune to infection and should they become more popular
> >they too would see the happy litte bugs showinig up in droves
> >looking for a home.This not to say that they have not been targeted
> >in the past, as they have, sucessfully, so to say that this OS or
> >that is "better" and immune is a false sense of security that could
> >end up costing you big time should one of these little mignons
> >decide that seeing as how Linux and Mac users are so not looking for
> >an attack that that just might be "fun" to hit next.
> >

>Linux distributions come with higher security by default. Windows still
>can't get the multi-user security correct.
>
> >The "better" solution is to invest the money the hackers have forced
> >you to dish out and get GOOD anti-virus/anti-hacking software as
> >well as spyware and adware removal software and be happy that you
> >did it BEFORE you lost your hard drive to some "helpful" hacker.
> >

>The only antivirus software on my linux machines is to filter out
>windows viruses from email attachments. Ask Keith about this.

:-) Martin, shouldn't that have been *Don't* ask Keith about this?
Should explain that Martin not only runs the list's Extremely Useful
Archives but also hosts our website, and thus our email too. At one
stage it was like being mail-bombed until he installed that goodie.
Aah, the peace! All Windows stuff.

Our previous hosts used Macs, not Linux, also no virus problems (I've
also never had a virus, and I do know), but as they got bigger and
more successful, their service and general thinking got less
successful, more and more problems. Finally they got into some real
M$-think by installing a so-called spam-blocker which wiped out the
whole of Japan! Along with us - no email! Their "solution" was that
it was our fault for using a Japanese service provider. Ho-hum. The
last straw. That's the same kind of M$-think I mentioned before, with
dumbo sys-admins setting up auto-systems that send the things *back*
to you though you didn't send them in the first place. Just got
another one, 69kb, usual Mydoom virus and false address. They STILL
haven't figured that out, that viruses steal sender's addresses?
"Windoze" is surely a good name for it.

Best

Keith