Hi Chris, welcome

>Hi there!
>
>I'm new to the list and I thought I'd drop a line and say hi to everyone!
>
>I live in Kitimat BC, and coincidentally I work at Methanex, the
>world's largest producer of methanol.  We also make ammonia at our
>plant here from the purge (excess) hydrogen from the methanol plant.
>I worked at the plant in Medicine Hat, Alberta, and then I got
>transferred to Kitimat when the other plant shut down.
>
>So, needless to say I won't have any problem finding a bit of
>methanol (for well under $2 a litre!!).  If anyone has any questions
>about how it's made (I saw the post about it just now from Rob and
>Teoman), just drop me a line.

Make it onlist rather? Then it'll be in the archives for everyone's
use, now and later.

Of much interest, for a long time, has been the possibility of
feasible small-scale methods (down to backyard-level) of making your
own methanol from renewable resources. You can see why that's
interesting. I think anything about methanol is of general interest
here.

Here are some previous messages on this:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/29796/
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/30149/
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/31310/

There's also this:
http://tinyurl.com/3f5v7
United States Patent Application        20030158270
Kind Code       A1
Mahajan, Devinder       August 21, 2003

Lots more in the archives.

>Also, since I have an ingrained safety ethic from where I work, if
>anyone needs any MSDS's (material safety data sheets) for methanol,
>or ANY chemical for that matter, just let me know.  Part of having
>these chemicals, especially around the house, is that you (and
>everyone using them) know everything you can about them, and have
>the information available.

Indeed yes.

>Label all of your chemicals (not just with the name...also include
>the "hazard" symbols or words) and have the sheets in a binder
>(labelled) nearby!!

Yes! And running water to hand, closed processors, safe electrical
connections... and some common sense, respect, no sloppiness.

>You are liable if someone stops in and decides to have a drink of
>your unlabelled methanol!
>
>On that thought, I must just go ahead and post them anyways in a
>couple of days.

Good! Thankyou, please do. We're aware of how much damage an accident
can do to the biofuels movement, though we try to keep it in
perspective too - some people overreact and back right off because of
an unreasonable fear of all those horrible chemicals. All due care
and precaution, good safe practices and equipment, good information
on the hazards, but no need for paranoia either. We have made a lot
of progress with safety issues over the last few years, it's MUCH
safer now, in every way.

Best wishes

Keith