> Hi J.D.
>
> Lively, civil and more! I'd love to see or hear of any specific
> studies you've come across. Searching the internet yields mostly
> articles about how, though clean-diesel has washed away some of the
> dirty-diesel blues, diesel is still dirtier than gasoline. I'm not
> stopping there though. Most of the works cite research done by Prof.
> Jacobson from Stanford. (Sounds like it could be a case of having one
> researcher's findings spread like a rumor, giving something a bad
> name... like David Pimentel and ethanol production efficiency.)
>
> - Dave
> Dave, to tell the truth, I'll admit that I have been too intellectually
lazy to actually dig for this too much.  I am surprised that Keith
hasn't added his 2 bits here.  IIRC, his position is that a catalytic
converter will fix the problem of high NOx emissions.  The reason this
solution has not been used in the US too much is that #2 still has too
much sulfur for these things and quickly ruins them, but biodiesel and
ULSD  will work with a Cat.  I'm not sure about the particulates, but I
have heard a lot about particulate traps.  I do have a concern for the
engine and especially for performance with cats and traps, and I could
be wrong about this, but I'm concerned that the backpressure from these
things might make the exhaust much too restrictive.  IME it already is
on most consumer diesels.  Hope someone will add something more useful,
J.D.