Hello Dave

>--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I was disappointed that while various people were very appreciative,
> > yet, with such good data to hand, not much more came of it. Why did
> > that discussion fizzle, folks? That info, plus more in the archives,
> > and the bright brains on this list, could probably settle this
> > question of diesels, biod and NOx now.
>
> > It's already there, go to the archives and check it out, don't wait
> > for me to do it.
> >
> > Best wishes
> >
> > Keith
>
>Hi Keith and all of the friends across the world,
>
>Are you talking about posts near #37773?

Yes, from DieselNet, there are about 10 of them. People wrote and
thanked me for posting it all, one member asked me to get some more,
I did so, there'd been a lot of discussion about NOx and catalytic
converters and so on, and it stopped dead. Disappointing, yes.

>Certainly good data,
>especially on the diesel-biodiesel-NOx issue. What I'm trying to get
>at more is comparing diesel and gasoline (reformulated gas, ULSD, any
>and all) and than on to biodiesel, svo and ethanol.

You were focusing on that, but there was more and spreading
discussion on NOx and catalytic converters and PM, which joined up
with previous such discussions and posts and seemed to be gathering
some momentum, with a good chance of answering some of the basic
questions at last, and then it died.

>I agree that with the information that has been gathered here, and
>some of the brightest biofuel brains in the world, we ought to be some
>of the most apt at completing a general biofuels comparison.

And at settling these questions about NOx and PM, and about catalytic
converters.

>With all
>the talk regarding emissions in this group, one would think that a
>chatgroup on just biofuel emissions is in order to keep the thread
>alive and vibrant. It kinda comes in waves in this group... fizzling
>out every now and again only to arise with the montly post: "I heard
>this rumor that SVO emits more (PM) than biodiesel." And than we get
>into it again. Not that that is bad in any way. We are on the edge.

You could make that argument for yet another chatgroup, or rather
discussion group, for scores of subjects here. If you know something
about information and how it unfolds, you'd see that it wouldn't
solve the problems, just divide and conquer them. It starts off by
making artificial divisions in the subject-matter - none of these
issues is a stand-alone subject, they're all interrelated. If you
divided it up like that you'd have to keep cross-posting and
cross-linking stuff arising in one group that's relevant to another.
It would soon become too ponderous and inefficient, and each one
would sail on, unaware of pertinent developments in the others, with
perhaps new people joining who didn't realise it was what another of
the groups is dealing with that they're really interested in. This is
one of the (many) problems with Web forums as opposed to email lists.

Here threads can cross and intertwine, merge and split again, new
threads can arise from them and later rejoin, adding a fresh
perspective, it's easy to follow yet there are no false divisions.
It's more like life, and it works better.

Eg, there's no reason why you shouldn't focus on your emissions
comparisons while others discuss NOx solutions in the same thread,
where the two closely related subjects can happily reflect on (and
off) each other.

That it died down had nothing to do with the format of the
discussions and the accessibility of the information.

Best wishes

Keith