If Iceland has no ability to produce a fuel (their growing season and climate
isn't ideal for biofuels), and if they can generate electricity in a clean
renewable manner, electrolyse hydrogen, compress it, and run vehicles on it, at
a cost that won't bankrupt the citizen or the country, than by all means, go
for it. North America doesn't meet these caviats. But under no circumstances
should anyone think that the process is cheap, or efficient. It just may be the
only option they are left with.

Here in the US, electricity is not cheap, plentiful, or green enough to produce
hydrogen in a sustainable manner. The other source of hydrogen is fossil fuels,
which is the source of hydrogen in our existing market.

60 mpg (GGE) is a doable target near term, using (bio)diesel and (bio)diesel
hybrid electrics, in a 4 passenger $15k - $25k car. 80 mpg (GGE) is an
admirable target that I support as a goal. 100 mpg is a pipedream for the
foreseeable future.

www.green-trust.org