upon a time we had a Chevy Nova that we considered operating on hydrogen. Assuming that we stored the H2 in a series of small scuba-like tanks, we figured we could get about thirty miles before the H2 ran out.

Initially, that was disappointing, but then we got to figuring that so long as we could then switch back to gasoline in order to continue on our way, the better way to look at this was that we'd be getting the first 30 miles each day from hydrogen, and for the vast majority of days, that was more than our actual usage.

When we realized that a thirty mile range was sufficient to handle more than 90% of the trips we made in that rig, we began to see the utility of the conversion in a different light.

Now, we're located on 130 acres and burn a considerable amount of gas running around the property, so even the "few miles" that the pickup truck was getting would be relevant, so long as we could switch back to gasoline when we make trips off property.

It's been observed that sometimes The Problem isn't a factual lack, but rather a conceptual lock.

For what it's worth,

Walt
http://www.windward.org/