I built one using a long pneumatic cylinder - tried using a jack but found it hard to get enough speed and momentum to the wedge to make it effective in splitting the log. The whole project turned out to be a lot more expensive and difficult than first thought although it does work well - runs off a 20 cfm compressor.

Mike
Canberra, Australia.