Hello Greg,

During the next year, I hope to learn a great deal more by attending
inter-departmental meetings within a state government.  These include
forestry, agriculture, energy, and rural economic development.  My views
will most definitely be altered with introduction to theories, data, and
performance records.  So... right now, I'm not qualified to post
definitive statements.

Thanks for your comments and outline of a prudent way to prune.  As I
understand the proposed program, the trees that are potentially being
considered for thinning are not a logging venture so much as
implementing a theory much like a tending a garden.  We usually
over-plant our seeds in our garden and thin the plants as the garden
grows to produce a better crop.  Therefore,  you and I may be talking
"apples and oranges" in addressing forest slash.  I view wholesale
logging as a crime.  I view thinning invasive trees that can hamper the
growth of trees similar to the pre-existing trees that flourished prior
to a forest burn as a healthy solution to encourage new growth.  Those
"trees" to be removed can be more like weeds.

The feeling of driving through a burned forest and a logged forest are
both disenchanting.  The goals and motives of the forest project are to
preserve and encourage the forest as much as we can.  With increasing
population, our solutions require a great deal of care and foresight.
To be "forward thinking" requires knowledge, insight, and love.  All we
can do is our best.

Peggy