Not to mention that a leading theory on the "health" of forests, is that
their response to diseases, to bugs, to parasites, is a function of "group
genetics", where the entire genetic diversity of a forest is involved in
creating chemical responses to the shared threat. Trees pick up effective
into the air ( much like pheromes with animals).  Cut down 1/3 of the trees,
and you cut 1/3 of the potential diversity ( maybe an overstatement, but you
get the idea).

I believe any plan to cut down natural stands of trees is a huge
mistake....where you have a population of nearly identical genetics in a
human planted setting, the stupidity of the planting without genetic
diversity  would suggest that these stand of trees could be harvested--but
they were mistakes to begin with.

A crop that takes 50 to 100 years to mature is also a poor choice for
harvesting.

Dan V