I don't want to cause an argument, but, is that a flat cost in money or over
all cost ( environmental cost to produce the materials to make it, the
economic and environmental cost to put the materials together and build the
turbine ).

It just seams to me that smaller turbines while in the long run may cost
more to maintain for a given kilowatt,  might be of lower over all cost
because they are more adaptable in materials used in building them, take
advantage of lower winds speeds, how much they affect the environment and
similar factors?

Is it better economically to have:

1 300 kw turbine that uses 78 % of the available wind, with a 98% mechanical
availability?
2 150 kw turbines that uses 80 % of the available winds ( because they can
use slower winds speeds ), each with 98% mechanical availability ( if one is
down for repairs then you still have 1/2 of your power generation
potential )?
3 100 kw turbines that uses 82 % of available winds, again, each with 98%
mechanical availability ( if one is down for repairs then you still have 2/3
of your maximum generation potential )?
or
4 75 kw turbines that uses 84% of available winds, again with a 98%
mechanical availability ( if one is down, then you still have 3/4 of you
maximum generation potential )?

Personally, I would think that as far as cost's are concerned, it would be
better to have 4 smaller turbines, than 1 large turbine that 2% of the time
is not bringing in any revenue.    Granted long term cost is going to be
higher, but, you get that back, in reliability, and the ability to bring in
revenue when the wind is blowing.

Maybe I am just looking at things differently.

Greg H.