<snip>

Think global warming's bad? Wait till you see global cooling.

Todd Swearingen

<snip>

Good piece by Thom Hartmann, as usual.

This below is part of a previous discussion here in 2003, between me and MM, which you might find interesting:

Interestingly, as a followup, the one response I got there was that
the possibility of global cooling is not getting enough attention.
The author nearly descended into vituperation (obviously my little
post must have been super-provocative), though that was not directed
precisely against me either.

That was the view in the late 60s, and indeed much earlier, up to as much as a century ago I think. Since the early 1980s at least more and better data, better ways of crunching it, further studies, have increasingly indicated the opposite, now overwhelmingly so. I don't think global cooling has been entirely disproved, but it's heavily outweighed.

In 1982 a book appeared called The Survival of Civilization, written by a strange person named John D. Hamaker, which predicted global cooling. He paints a picture of rising CO2 levels triggering a sudden and catastrophic ice age. He sees it as a regular phenomenon, tracing it back through the last 17 ice ages, or something like that. The mechanism is that the topsoil runs out of minerals, leading to a decrease in the amount of biomass and a consequent release of CO2 into the atmosphere, which at first triggers warming and then an ice age. The ice grinds up a huge amount of surface rock into dust, as glaciers do but on a much vaster scale, finally retreating to leave a remineralised soil behind via the rock dust. It's quite a persuasive picture, and he does have his evidence for it. He reckons this time we've simply hastened the onset of the process with our fossil-fuel CO2 releases. He also proposes arresting the process by remineralising the land worldwide with rock dust. He even designed a handy machine to grind up rocks on the spot.

I read the book at the time (a convert friend sent it to me). It's a cranky book but there's quite a lot of sense in it, particularly about soil mineralisation, but I didn't accept the main conclusion that a rapid transition to a new ice-age was imminent: "The broad truth is that without radical and immediate reform (particularly in this nation [the US]), civilization will be wrecked by 1990 and extinct by 1995." Well, maybe he just got the timing wrong. Or was he right and we just didn't notice? :-)

He was ignored by the science community (which probably means he's either a misguided nut or a great prophet). And now it's become a bit of a cult book on the Internet, bad timing notwithstanding.

You can find it online (pdf) here, FWIW:
http://www.remineralize.org/don/tsoc.pdf
or here:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010146tsoc.pdf

So we'll fry or we'll freeze, or something. But certainly something. And it definitely makes sense to cut the fossil fuels, but fast.

I wondered whether it wasn't Hamaker who inspired that silly movie, I forget it's name:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/35379/1/

And also Andrew Marshall's perhaps equally silly Pentagon report (or maybe the movie did that):

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/32387/
Weathering the Crisis - World Bank, Pentagon: global warming red alert

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/32446/
Pentagon Goes Crazy for Massive Climate Change

See:
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Andrew_Marshall
Andrew Marshall - SourceWatch

... along with acolytes Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz and many others, including the odious Thomas P.M. Barnett:
http://wwia.org/pipermail/biofuel/Week-of-Mon-20050110/004788.html
[Biofuel] Oil politics trumps everything.

Best wishes