Kirk,

Well, again, I don't think your logic is off base -- especially when it comes
to redundancy in control systems.

There are ways to approach each of the situations you described in your reply.
I worked as a control engineer for a few years and wrote computer logic
(typically 0 to 20 mA output) to control plastic processing equipment with
thousand horsepower motors and precision temperature controls that ran 24/7.
From my experience, there is an abundance of evidence in industry that shows
the reliability of computer controls when done carefully. But, if you are not
so convinced, that's OK too. I think at this point in our exchange, we can
agree to disagree.

I think that you have already considered the options and made a decision about
which way to control your process. There is nobody more knowledgeable about
your own process requirements than you.

:-)

Mike

Kirk McLoren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Computers are great. I like them. But they aren't as
reliable as simple physical systems. As for the delta
T a bimetal can operate over it is a question of
mechanical design. An electronic controller may
theoretically switch over a change of a milli degree
but in the real world the conductivity from the heater
to the mass, the rate of heating, amount of mixing in
a tank, rates of cooling etc can make for some
temperature differences that are enormously larger
than the sensitivity of the controller.

As for upset my daughters computer lost its CMOS
settings when the wrong breaker was thrown. Failed
CMOS battery? Doesn't lose setup info if powered down.
Doesn't lose it every time either. She also lost a
satellite internet transponder due to a glitch on the
powerline last year. Expensive spike that one.
You will also note Windows users are warned to not use
windows for critical control applications such as life
support. In industry numerical controllers are widely
used but critical operations have staff during
operation and redundant controls if failure analysis
indicates.

Redundant controls and voting? That helps failure rate
but it is still not perfect. I think if you size the
heater so that if it fails on while unattended so that
it cannot cause a fire or other danger then maybe your
computer controller is an acceptable risk. Maybe
include a bimetal disk cutout at 10 or 20 above
highest temp ever used. Appliance clothes dryers have
a backup cutout. They have to. Too many fires
otherwise and those controllers are much more reliable
than windoze.

I think old computers are great for data logging but
be damn careful when you include them in the loop for
control. Always have a backup safety or you may have a
situation not bargained for.

Kirk