>>with the popularity of gas hybrids, i was wondering if it's possible to
>>make a diesl hybrid? anyone know if it's being considered/designed???
>>
>>thanx, kenn
>
> See:
> http://wwia.org/pipermail/biofuel/Week-of-Mon-20041227/004092.html
> [Biofuel] More hybrid technology news

thanx keith - looks like only big trucks & buses; don't know if hybrid
diesel cars are on the horizon??

Oops - you didn't follow the links, it's about hybrid diesel cars, not buses.

"The PNGV diesel hybrid cars were hitting 80 mpg when the program was
scrapped. I wonder if those were "real life application" figures?"

And:

PNGV is here, about halfway down:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_future.html
Do diesels have a future?

That's here:

The US government/industry collaboration Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles (PNGV), launched in 1993, was intended to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by developing ultra-clean, 80 miles-per-gallon (34 km/litre) "hypercars" without sacrificing comfort, safety or performance, focusing on cleaner and more efficient diesel engines. Details:
Technology Administration: Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles
http://www.ta.doc.gov/PNGV-Archive/default.htm
Hybrid Electric Vehicles: Program Background
http://www.ott.doe.gov/hev/background.html
Hybrid Electric Vehicles: Related Links
http://www.ott.doe.gov/hev/related.html
Hybrid Electric Vehicles
http://www.ott.doe.gov/hev/

General Motors' Precept achieved the mileage goal -- 80 miles per gallon. The car won the Popular Science "Best of What's New" Grand Award for automotive technology for 2000. The full-size five-passenger sedan is powered by two electric motors and a high-efficiency diesel. Its drag coefficient is just 0.16. GM says the Precept marks the leading edge of technology, and its design will have a strong influence on future cars. See General Motors' Precept Delivers on 80-mpg Promise: http://gm.com/company/gmability/environment/gm_and_the_env/releases/ov erview_release_10xx00.html

Chrysler's stylish Dodge ESX3 lightweight diesel-electric hybrid, part of the PNGV program, combines a direct-injection diesel with an electric motor and an advanced battery to achieve 72 miles per gallon (30 km/litre). The 5-seater body is made of thermoplastic -- the same cheap plastic used to make soft-drink bottles. Carbon dioxide emissions are 56% lower than a conventional petrol engine, with 50% less particulate matter than a conventional diesel and 70% less nitrogen oxides. Range is 420 miles (672 km). Unlike totally electric vehicles, hybrids have unlimited driving range and never need to be plugged in for recharging. See DaimlerChrysler unveils electric car:
http://detnews.com/2000/autos/0002/23/02230070.htm

Ford's bid for the car of the future is the P2000 Prodigy 5-seater sedan, an ultra-light diesel-electric hybrid that boosts fuel economy to 63 miles per gallon (27 km/litre) and was expected to qualify as an ultra low emissions vehicle. Part of the PNGV program. The 1.2 litre, direct injection diesel DIATA engine is 35% more efficient than an equivalent petrol engine. "Extremely fuel-efficient", and "A giant advance toward the production of lightweight, environmentally responsible vehicles with outstanding economy and emissions levels". See Ford Hybrid Electric Vehicle is on horizon:
http://www.autoworld.com/news/Ford/Ford_Hybrid.htm

The costs of the new hypercars came right down from that of the earlier prototypes, but were still higher than production models. See Super-High-Mileage Car Just a Concept, For Now, Washington Post, August 17, 2001:
http://washingtonpost.com:80/wp-dyn/articles/A25087-2001Aug17.html

Early in 2002 the PNGV program was axed by the Bush administration, to be replaced with the "Freedom Car" program focusing on hydrogen fuel-cells -- not expected to produce tangible results for a decade. See Driving In Circles: New Fuel-Efficiency Initiative Is More PR Than Progress:
http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm?ID=4959

Diesel hybrid cars.

And here's why it was axed:

... Well, there and mouldering away on various back shelves in
Detroit. And this explains why:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/30857/

Those links are broken now, these ones will work:

Driving In Circles
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/10937/

Fool Cells - How Detroit Plays Americans For A Bunch Of Suckers
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/20706/

See also the Mokhiber-Weissman review of Jack Doyle's book, "Taken for a Ride: Detroit's Big Three and the Politics of Pollution":
http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/corp-focus/2000/000031.html

Best wishes

Keith

kenn