Martin & Len,

Fuel and fuel additives are technically to be registered with US
EPA. Manufacturers of biodiesel being sold either for road,
off-road or marine use must also be registered with the IRS.
Off-road fuels must meet their dye requirements.

On road biodiesel must meet ASTM D-6751 and fall under some form
of health effects testing umbrella. The easiest "out" relative to
access to Health Effects data is to become a member of the NBB at
$5,000 a pop.

As the demand for off-road and marine diesel is so large, there
really is no reason to extend into on-road use until you've
gotten accustomed to the regs that govern biodiesel manufacture,
developed a clientele and have an express need and ability to
expand.

You'll run into local fire codes and your state's EPA regs
relative to methanol and fuel storage. These will probably
include remote storage and dike containment. Some states require
an approved "rack" for loading bulk fuel. If you're disposing of
the biodiesel as fast as you make it and are working in proximity
of 1,000 gallons a day or less, it's doubtful that a rack would
be required.

Other factors with OSHA and EPA would be spill containment and
recovery in the manufacturing area, vapor tight systems and
recovery of the methanol (a VOC and toxin) and a hazard free work
area.

There are some minor variances with OSHA, depending upon the
number of "employees." Generally, a sole proprietorship can get
away with many conditions that would not be tolerated in other
businesses.

Either way, simple things like a heavy grating over the WVO
settling tank aren't a bad idea, just to keep the mice from
drowning. It's a really nasty death.

Todd Swearingen