Hello Reinhard

>It seems the Cubans are sticking to their ideology, that everything
>there comes from sugar cane.

Well, no, not really. The link I gave came from this site:
http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/cuba/sustainable/index.html
Cuba Campaign: Eco Cuba Exchange

Have a look at the Organic Agriculture and Natural and Traditional
Medicine sections.

>They have all the resources (climate, land, Jatropha) to grow oil
>plants and the possibility to use it directly in truck engines
>(IFA-trucks from former East Germany) without conversion.
>
>But nothing happens.
>
>"Progress is a snail!"

They've made some quite extraordinary progress in some directions.
Jatropha is an excellent oil plant, but no matter how excellent it
is, I think a top-down, one-solution approach just wouldn't work
there, and could be disastrous if that meant they abandoned further
efforts at natural oils for fuel. It's a perfect set-up for the niche
approach, highly localized, and that always means variety, options
should have as much variety possible. They could probably succeed
with this to the same spectacular extent they've succeeded with
micro-farming and organics, which would be a real eye-opener for the
rest of the world, as their organics success is proving to be. Even
to Americans. But it requires an extremely localized approach, with
local people fully involved in all the decisions, nothing decreed or
imposed from above, except encouragement.

Regards

Keith

>Reinhard Henning
>
>"Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> > http://tlent.home.igc.org/renewable%20energy%20in%20cuba.html
> > Renewable Energy Development In Cuba:
> > Sustainability Responds To Economic Crisis
> > April, 1997
> >
> > ... "Cuban annual per capita energy consumption has dropped to about
> > four barrels of oil equivalent, half of what it was before the
> > Special Period. By comparison, the U.S. uses the equivalent of 59
> > barrels of oil per person annually."...
> >
> > This is somewhat out of date, and there's no mention of biodiesel.
> > I've read elsewhere that recycling of waste oil and fats into
> > biodiesel is at a high level, but I see no more about it. Does anyone
> > have more info on this?
> >
> > By the way, there's a study tour to Cuba being organized on the topic of:
> >
> > >SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE:
> > >Cuba's Unprecedented Conversion to Organic Agriculture
> >
> > Contact:
> >
> > >U.S. Mailing Address:
> > >Global Exchange
> > >Cuba - Sustainable Development/Sarah Dotlich
> > >2017 Mission Street, Suite #303
> > >San Francisco, CA  94708
> > >Phone 415-255-7296, ext 231
> >
> > This should include sustainable and renewable energy. If not, why not?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Keith

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/mG3HAA/9bTolB/TM