Hello Paul

I don't think it's so simple. First, he's talking of "glycerine" when
what he means is the glycerine layer, which is not just glycerine.
The glycerine itself will not be affected. Todd and Michael have
posted some good info. I think we can conclude, almost, that whether
the glycerine layer solidifies or not depends on the amount of
saponified FFAs present as well as which FAs they're derived from and
whether they're saturated or not. I said almost because there do seem
to be other factors at work. I recently processed some pure lard (pig
fat), fresh, unused. Low titration, so I used 4.5 gm/litre oil and
25% methanol, nice split, good separation; then I reprocessed it with
another 1gm/litre and 5% methanol to see if any more glyc separated
out. None did, but the glyc layer solidified. Then I did another
batch with 4.5 gm/litre oil and 25% methanol, no extra, and the glyc
layer didn't solidify. So either the amount of NaOH or the amount of
alcohol, or both, make a difference. Probably more to do with the
methanol - it's been said that if you recover the methanol before
separating the glyc layer from the biodiesel it's more difficult to
neutralize and separate the glyc layer, I imagine because it's more
likely to solidify. Can anyone confirm that?

>A comparison of glycerines from both the acid/base method and the single
>stage base method (from same High FFA feedstock) would indicate whether the
>FFA neutralisation by NaOH led to solidification of the glycerine.

I haven't made a comparison, but I'm sure it would, there's a lot
less saponified FFA with the acid/base method.

regards

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/9bTolB/TM