Hello Rob

I worked on the Ford P2000 DIATA diesel hybrid for a few years in the late
90's, as a engine control systems engineer.

It was a research vehicle, part of the PNGV initiative.  A pretty cool and
functional hybrid -- a large 4-door car (larger inside than a Taurus) with
reasonable power.  I got around 60-70 mpg in real-world driving, a bit
higher on the EPA test cycles.

The engine and hybrid system were all pretty close to currently
in-production stuff, with the exception of batteries and exhaust
aftertreatment.  The cost of the vehicle, though, was way high, much to high
for a marketable car.

To get the weight down to 2000 lbs curb weight, we had expensive aluminum,
magnesium, and titanium components everywhere.  Titanium lugnuts?  $200
each.  Magnesium wheels?  $$$$

I doubt it could have been produced for less than $50,000 US, even given
economies of scale.

They were succeeding in bring the prices down to near-marketability when the program was axed. I'm not sure about Ford's Prodigy, but the Dodge ESX3 PNGV diesel hybrid got down to about $27,500 by early 2000.
http://www.detnews.com/2000/autos/0002/23/02230070.htm

DaimlerChrysler cut the "cost penalty" from $60,000 down to $7,500. GM predicted that it would have production prototypes ready in 2004, with cars for sale to follow.

Fun stuff to play with, though.

Play? "It is possible to produce a mid-size family sedan that gets 80 miles per gallon. It won't be cheap," said a Washington Post article on PNGV in 2001. What does cheap mean? As cheap as oil imports to the US are today, very much of which is wasted? Fuel economy hasn't improved in 20 years or more in the US, what's the cost of that exactly? An impossible dream? PNGV shows it's not impossible at all, even in the US.

So, I don't think there is a magic vehicle being hidden from us.

Not magic, but it's certainly been buried and it shouldn't have been. Did you read these?

Driving In Circles
http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg10943.html

Fool Cells - How Detroit Plays Americans For A Bunch Of Suckers
http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg20667.html

See also the Mokhiber-Weissman review of Jack Doyle's book, "Taken
for a Ride: Detroit's Big Three and the Politics of Pollution":
http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/corp-focus/2000/000031.html

Where's the technology now? It was intended to percolate into the general technology base in the US, they said it was doing exactly that, and instead it vanished. "All told, of the 129 technology achievements and innovations arising from the Precept program, 47 of them are global industry firsts and about 75 percent have some sort of potential core product application. Nearly 40 of those achievements and innovations are in the propulsion system alone." Shelved. And you guys buy Insights and Prius's instead like a bunch of mugs.

A Tale of Two Countries, by David Morris
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=17333

From one PNGV program report in 2000:

Daimler Chrysler's Jim Holden said he drove to the press conference in a new Dodge Durango SUV with a hybrid gas electric power train that is 20 percent more fuel efficient than the conventional Durango. GM sells about 20,000 Durangos a year, Holden said, and "with a little bit of help on the tax side," the hybrid Durango could be "on the road in the very near term." The Big Three want Congress to pass legislation supported by the White House that would give a tax credit of up to $4,000 to consumers who buy these new, fuel efficient vehicles.

But the tax credits go to SUVs. "Unfortunately, Congress has refused to act on our package of consumer tax credits -- including credits of up to $4,000 for consumers to purchase the next generation of fuel efficient vehicles." - GM, 10/20/2000

I do
agree, though, that that was a heck of an expensive program for the U.S.
taxpayer.

As expensive as today's oil consumption is proving to be, in so many different ways? And not just for the US taxpayer either.

IIRC, under PNGV the US gave $70 million to each of the big 3
automakers to come up with these 'possible vehicles'.

More than that I think.

Funny how there's less and less to be seen about these vehicles and the PNGV program. I keep having to change/kill the links on our section on them at Journey to Forever. For instance, a new one, enter "pngv" at NREL's search page and you get this message (note the url):

http://search.nrel.gov/go_away.html
This page is intentionally blank.

LOL!

I did the search after finding that NREL's pages on PNGV had vanished.

Best wishes

Keith

-- RobT