Joe Street wrote:
Howdy Pardner....

bob allen wrote:

Howdy Joe (I just had to write "Hey Joe" before. its the lead to a Jimmy hendrix song I enjoy.)

Yeah I get that a lot. When they ask me "where you goin with that gun in your hand" I say "This is my rifle and this is my gun, This is for shooting and this is for fun"

Ok thanks for your corrections and information below. As a chemist you are a boon to this list. Have you given any thought to the other thread about using some form of energy input to make the esterification reaction go? Apparently it can be done with a high electric field strength and passing the oil/alcohol mixture at elevated temperature (and pressure I am guessing since the vapor pressure of methanol at 85 deg C must be above atmoshpere). I was also wondering about using intense UV light. Any thoughts?

To drive a chemical reaction, you need two things: Provide activation energy to move the reaction along and some way to force any equilibrium in the direction you want it to go (for reversible processes). Traditional base catalyzed transesterification uses heat to provide the activation energy and excess methanol to drive the equilibrium further.

Other ways to provide the activation energy may be possible, but I would question whether one process was any more cost effective or energy efficient than the traditional methods. To make a long story short, I haven't given it a lot of thought, but for your average Joe(ok another feeble pun), stick with what works.
--
Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman