Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> > Anyway, if you do mean biodiesel, there wouldn't be much point in
> > making a list, biodiesel works in all diesel engines.
> >

>Is there anyone on this list running biodiesel in the CRD engines?  I
>have heard rumors (mostly from the same people who claim that
>biodiesel will ruin any diesel engine, which is obviously disproven)
>that it can polymerize in the injector lines.

CRD = Common-Rail Direct Injection? There's been an argument, mostly
in the US, over whether the new VW models from 2004 on fitted with
Pumpe Düse unit injection, PDIs, or PDs (injector and pump are
integrated into a single unit), are suitable for biodiesel.

The message from Rob Del Bueno I referred to in the Landcruiser
thread also said this:

>Currently I resell commercial manufactured biodiesel in Atlanta, GA.
>Over the past 2 years I have seen the quality of this fuel vary greatly.
>The vehicles that seemed most prone to having issues with the variable fuel
>quality where the 2004/2005 VWs.
>In 2004 evidently VW started using a high pressure common-rail direct
>injection fuel system, which provides a bit more HP, but is much more
>sensitive to fuel quality issues.
>
>This is not to say you should avoid the new VWs...just make sure you have a
>way of verifying the quality of the biodiesel you will be using in it.

Quality, yes. The VWs are PDIs, not common-rail. Here's an
explanation of common-rail:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/diesel.htm#Common-Rail
AutoZine Technical School - Engine

I don't know of any problems running common-rail diesels on biodiesel.

Here's an explanation of Pumpe Düse unit injection:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/technology_glossary/Pumpe_Duse
Volkswagen > New Cars > Technical Glossary
Pump Duse

The PDI controversy doesn't seem to extend to Europe, where, never
mind biodiesel, advanced PDI diesels are converted for SVO use with
professional single-tank SVO systems (with special injectors and
glow-plugs optimised for SVO use, as well as fuel pre-heating), some
of them in a government-backed scheme (the German "100 tractors"
program). See, eg:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg38556.html
RE: [Biofuel] 2004 VW Jetta TDI

The original Elsbett 3-cylinder DI multi-fuel diesel engine designed
for either SVO or petro-diesel had Pumpe Düse unit injection (which I
think Elsbett first developed, along with DI diesels for passenger
cars).

So yes, biodiesel works in all diesel engines, as long as it's
good-quality biodiesel. Always the same proviso. Not that it's any
problem making good-quality biodiesel.

I wonder how high-pressure such as with a CRD would cause biodiesel
to polymerise. Oxidation might do that, more so with soy-based than
with rapeseed oil-based biodiesel, especially if you bubble-wash it.
But there are standards for oxidation limits too, at least in Europe
(and Australia, and soon in Japan). The US seems to be in denial
about it because soy doesn't qualify.

Best wishes