Zeke Yewdall wrote:

>Interesting.  I know that several people in Boulder have had issues
>with unwashed biodiesel running very poorly in the TDI's -- even pre
>PDI ones (one commercial reseller here sells unwashed biodiesel made
>from WVO), whereas others of us use it with no problems at all, in
>1980's diesels.

As Todd says, things don't break until they break. (Um, I think I got
it right, or was it nothing breaks until it's broken?)

>But properly washed biodiesel does not seem to be an
>issue with the TDI's.

Properly made and properly washed.

>On the soy vs rapeseed, why is the US so fixated on soy?  Smacks of a
>powerful soybean lobby to me.

I believe you'll find (ta-dah!) the list archives a rich source of
information on Big Soy and its influence on the biodiesel industry in
the US, and what European car manufacturers tend to think of that
when it comes to issuing warranties in the US.

>From what little I know of the farming
>practices, rapeseed can be grown in much harsher climates (winter
>wheat territory), and doesn't require as much irrigation as soybeans.
>Seems to be a much more sustainable crop.

Since this is Big Ag we're talking about with powerful lobbies and so
on, I should say that industrialised monocrops of rapeseed aren't any
more sustainable than industrialised monocrops of soy or of anything
else. Both are heavily reliant on fossil-fuel inputs anyway, hardly a
way to grow sustainable green clean biofuels. Or not for much longer.
Soy's a legume at least, it fixes some soil N, though not as much as
other legumes. Both soy and rapeseed can be and are grown sustainably.

For rapeseed you need an oilseed press to extract the oil, but you
can't press soy oil, it's solvent-extracted, usually with hexane. Soy
oil has a higher iodine number than rapeseed, which excludes it in
Europe, which of course has its rapeseed lobby, but the soy
exclusioon in the EU biodiesel standards has a real basis, oxidation
is a problem. Rapeseed oil is a better lubricant than soy oil, but
all vegetable oils are good lubricants anyway. Castor oil is about
the best, very interesting biofuels crop.

>Interestingly, my dad's 1953 bulldozer is technically a PD system as
>well, although completely mechanical.  I haven't tried running it on
>biodiesel or SVO, but I doubt it would have trouble.

Probably not. The tractors in the German "100 tractors" program
aren't old tractors. They're these things, with advanced diesel
motors:

http://www.deutz-fahr.de/english/traktoren/agrotronttv/
DEUTZ-FAHR | Agrotron TTV

http://www.deutz-fahr.de/english/traktoren/agrotronttv/motor.php
DEUTZ-FAHR | Agrotron TTV - Engine

DEUTZ-FAHR | Agrotron TTV - Technical data
http://www.deutz-fahr.de/english/traktoren/pdf/ttvdatenblatt.pdf

Keith