On 10/6/05, Chris lloyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No problem, there was a scientific study done on the Atkins diet in the UK
> early this year, weight, blood pressure and cholesterol tested every day and
> food consumption monitored. It seems people on that diet just do not eat as
> many calories as people eating carbs. They even had the test subjects locked
> in an air chamber monitoring the amount of waste gas being produced to work
> out energy lost in gas production and oily stools. But they did not expect
> the lower cholesterol levels and could not explain how the dropped. They
> thought that fresh cooked meat was better for you than processed and the oil
> used in cooking should only be used once and then dumped.  Chris.

Sounds like this particular study was comparing apples to oranges but,
I might be reading something into it.  However, it does certainly
sounds by your description that the study compared an Atkins diet of
fresh meats to an omniverous diet of processed foods.  No doubt, a
diet of refined carbohydrates is not a good diet.  However, locally
grown, organic whole grains are invaluable in many peoples' diets.

Let's face it, the best diet is exercise.  You can eat anything you
want in moderation but, it won't help eating one thing or another
unless you move your body.

A few interesting things:

There are fewer calories in 1 gram of carbohydrates than either
proteins or fats.  Fats contain the highest calory count per gram.
Eat too much fat and it will be stored as fat for reserve.  Protein is
great but, if you eat too much, it will also be converted to fat and
reserved.  Of course, carbohydrates can also be stored as fat but,
considering that they are the first used energy source, the chances of
carbs being stored as fat are less.  That is, providing that you eat
only as much as your body can use or less.

Carbohydrates are the first category that your body uses.  Next is
protein.  Then fat.  Eat more carbs and what is left for energy?
Internal stores of fat.

Whatever you eat, buying local, locally grown and organic will benefit
everyone!  And if you walk or ride your bike to pick it up, even
better yet.

Take care,
Ken