Personally, I think some simple changes would fix a lot of what
is currently borked in the US political system. Debates for
instance, pretty much all public debating (meaning televised)
is done of, by and for the Twin Partys. This should cease
immediately. This much of the system process would be
well served by true open debate, including by design
"third" or "fringe" party candidates. I think this alone
would be easy to handle under law. I think it could
make a huge difference.

I agree completely...They  refused to let Nader in the debates which I think would have further shown how similar the twin parties are...Both parties have become conglomerations of extremists and moderates that better approximate 4 or 5 parties that caucus together.

I concurr that the electoral college system is also
borked, however, the "simple majority" system is
also deeply flawed.

Folks try to look at things as if there were red
and blue "states" (because it's the state vote
that counts). But it isn't red and blue states,
it's urban vs rural.

http://brianhayes.com/2005/09/red-blue-rural-urban.html

in a "popular" election, the urbanites would
win outright. Policy would be set by those
living furthest from the elemental necessities
of existance.

This is very interesting...http://www.urbanarchipelago.com  is...ummm...interesting, too, but divisive...My question is, realistically, if we do away withe electoral college, won't more of these urbanites realize that their votes count and go out and actually vote?  Like here in South Carolina, many non-republicans stay home because they feel their vote doesn't count because SC is a "red state"

blah blah blah. The Twin Party system is very
much a very real problem. imho, the democrats
have nothing to offer, they (at the top
tiers) represent a life that I know little
of. The republicans have nothing to offer,
they (at the top tiers) represent a power
structure that has no grasp on what the
philosophic "common man" has to face in
day to day life, AT ALL. The Libertarians
(with a capitol L) have become the party
of "I've got mine, and whatever I do to
keep it is okay, you don't matter, at all".

America, the US, is hardly a united states
at all. It is a chain (as it's nicely worded in
the Urban Archipelago) of islands.

I'm just old enough to have spent a few formative
years hitchhiking around America, in some ways
too many years, in other ways, not enough. But
"in those days" people still hitchhiked, and still
met all kinds of folks. Now, no one hitchhikes,
but everyone jabbers on cellphones, ignoring the
person standing next to them in line.

blah blah blah.

I'm jealous of your opportunity to do so...Things really changed in the '80's didn't they?

I like your use of the word 'borked'...I may have to use that...Maybe 'Miers' will come to mean bleeding incompetence and cronyism?
--
Thanks,
PC

He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives. - Abba Eban _______________________________________________ Biofuel mailing list Biofuel@sustainablelists.org http://sustainablelists.org/mailman/listinfo/biofuel_sustainablelists.org Biofuel at Journey to Forever: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000 messages): http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/