Cooling.  Any thermal power plant rejects roughly 60 - 70% of the
energy from burning fuel as waste heat.  Some plants use big ponds
that just sit there and give off heat (evaporating in the process),
and some use cooling towers (that's what the giant concrete things are
on nuclear power plants, with plumes of steam coming out).    Either
way, they use alot of water.  Which in the dry west, is a big problem.