There are major costs besides road maintenance and building, such as
health costs of pollution medical (National Health Service) and other
costs related to accidents, costs of policing. Back in the late 80's
Pollution Probe in Toronto published a study "The Costs of the Car"
which estimted that charging all costs to fuel would result in a total
gasoline price of $5 to$6 CDN per Imperial gallon. the price would be
almost double now. Also, the more roads the less land there is for
other uses and the lower the tax base to pay for ever increasing roads
and infrastructure. The ultimate solution is charges for road
use; difficult but becoming easier with the advance of computers and
electronics.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada