Hi!

At 18:29 24.12.05, you wrote:
>Hello Vaklin
>
> >My personal opinion, not sure I'm right or not...
> >
> >+ KOH dissolves in seconds in CH3OH
>
>Some of it does, but it takes about 10 minutes or more to dissolve
>what you'd use to make a batch.
>
> >o The process has not faster than one with NaOH
>
>No, and also it's not slower.
>
> >- KOH here is 3 times expensive than NaOH
>
>Are you sure? People have said such things but when they had a better
>look they usually managed to get it for about the same unit price
>(though you use more), including at least one person in East Europe.

Will give prices in BGN (native currency $1.64 = 1BGN)
NaOH 0.70 BGN without VAT;
KOH 2.50 BGN without VAT.

Have found the place where can buy for approx 1.50 BGN, but should drive 300km.

> >- You should use approximately 1.5 times (in grams) more KOH
>
>Why give only an approximate figure for how much catalyst to use? If
>it's not accurate it's useless, or worse. You need to use 1.4 times
>as much (1.4025), and you also have to adjust it for purity. For
>accurate information please see:
>
>More about lye
>http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#lye

I have wrote "approximately". Exactly the value is as you said.

For 250 ml fresh rape oil I have used 2.5g KOH or
1.78 gram NaOH. With these values I have got
excellent esterification in 1 hour and 30
minutes. Every time I'm awaiting 30 minutes more.
Temperature is constant, 58 degrees Celsius.

> >- Washing after KOH is more difficult. For me 4-5 washes vs. 3.
>
>I think most people have the opposite experience, easier washes.

Maybe .. Probably they use better water than mine from kitchen pipe.

> >- KOH accepts very faster H2O from the air. From this comes more
> >expensive holding.
>
>We used NaOH for years and switched to KOH more than two years ago,
>we've used a lot of it since then, we live in a humid place and we
>haven't seen any difference in absorption.

And you know every day real water contents? I'm sure KOH is useable too...

> >- I have expected 100% esterification with KOH, but unfortunately I
> >have got the same ester/glycerin ratio as with NaOH.
>
>Conversion never reaches 100% completion.

I know, but have read some documents where in
closed reactor with 70 degrees Celsius and KOH they has reached 100%.

> >So KOH doesn't cover my hopes.
>
>But you seem to have hoped for some odd things.

No, just better self value for the product.

> >All this I get from few 200 ml test batches from fresh rape oil.
>
>Keep going, good luck.
>
>Best
>
>Keith

Thank you.

> >At 04:12 24.12.05, you wrote:
> >>Everyone seems to use more NaOh in the process. At this point I
> >>plan on using KOH even though I must use more.
> >>I can purchase 90% KOH for .725/lb   and NaOH beads for 51/lb.
> >>The time savings and ease in mixing KOH is worth the extra cost.
> >>
> >>Later in the entire process am I missing something that would make
> >>using KOH more complicated?
> >>
> >>I would be left with Pot Ash. Is there more
> value to glycerine than pot ash?
> >>
> >>I have used NaOH so far, but want to switch when my account is finalized.
> >>
> >>I have been reading the archives but 58,000 messages may take a
> >>while to get through.
> >>
> >>Currently designing my system to do 175 gallons of WVO per batch,
> >>35 gallons Methanol ($2.89 gl). I have access to good supply of
> >>stainless cone bottom tank for all tanks.
> >>
> >>John Frey

>--

Vaklin Hristov
CAR DIAGNOSE Ltd.