I just wanted to chime in very quickly about the hacker mentality and ethic.

In theory, hackers hack to make things better. Security, speed,
effeciency, clock cycles, whatever.

I just heard a story on NPR tonight about "prius hackers" who have
doubled the effeciency of their Prius's by adding additional batteries
and a plug-in. I'm digressing..

Red boxes, blue boxes, tron boxes...home cable descramblers...it's a rocky path.

I used to use a red box while I was away at college to call my
friends, still have about 6 of them, haha. When radio shack stopped
selling tone dialers I bought all their remaining stock. I did it
because I was poor, and stealing from "the man" seemed legitimate.
"The man" had lots of money, and was so automated he couldn't tell the
difference between a quarter and the tone I generated. We experimented
with one of the boxes that prevents the line voltage from dropping
when you pick up a call too, although our use was to prevent
telemarketers from being able to hang up.

I've recently done a lot of thinking about how FEW people do the
thinking for SO MANY. From law makers to engineers, whatever. However,
with people like the EFF (electronic frontier foundation) floating
around, I don't believe that we're in true danger of losing our
"internet", per se.

If anything, I see it becoming LESS centralized, and LESS controlled.
The MPAA/RIAA are fighting a losing battle against a community that's
consistently outpacing them in terms of privacy and anonymity. To a
google search on Tor, I use it personally.

The main point for me I guess is that the fattest pipes out there are
NOT on american soil, and the technology is NOT american.

I don't doubt anyone's desire to inflict greater control or profit
margin on American internet access, I just don't see it happening any
time soon. True privacy on the internet is a fallacy anyway, but not
even Google will listen to the government telling it not to put
satellite imagery of bases, etc, up free on googleearth. Pakistan and
India are suing....but...who?

It takes about 6 months for a pharmacy lab to learn to copy someone else's drug.
It took 72 hours to break the DRM on iTunes.
It took 24 hours to break the "ultimately encrypted" dvd encryption.
It took 12 hours to break Arista's new CD protection scheme.
It took 6 hours to break sony's illegal DRM.

Fear not fellow subverts, the underground will keep us safe. Sort of.