Howdy Kirk,

Kirk McLoren wrote:
> We find that there is a lot of concern about mercury and burning coal
> yet you advocate a mercury source that is much more concentrated as not
> a demonstrable health problem.

Environmental releases of Hg is not where we started. I agree whole
heartedly with you.  I have done research on environmental Hg (one of my
project favorites- My students and I got to go fishing for sunfish, then
we analyzed the flesh for mercury content- but that is another story)

let's try to keep to our discussion. My response to you was to two
claims you made:

  " So what do other dentists think that are outside the liability issue
if American dentists ever admit they have poisoned people for a century"

and

"In Germany ,for example, you would lose your license to practice
dentistry if you put "silver" fillings in someones mouth (mercury
amalgam"

all I suggested is that I find no support in the literature for your
claims- so give me some proof- if dental amalgams are really poisoning
people for so long, then surely their is some epidemiological evidence.
As to German Law-  any Europeans out there to direct us to relevant
legalese?

You need to see what is wrong with your
> search engine Bob. You only seem to find politically correct authorities
> to quote.

I used as my source the world health organization, in addition to other
national/ international organizations.

Could you please direct me to better data sources then, but please no
testimonials. Remember we are talking about data that supports your
claim that dental amalgam has (Hg) has been poisoning people, not that
metallic mercury can be converted in the environment to dimethyl mercury
which is several orders of magnitude more toxic.

> Since as in any trial we can find "experts" to vouch for any position I
> suggest we use a modicum of logic and ask ourselves if the EPA is full
> of fertilizer in labeling amalgam as hazardous waste.

different question entirely

  Are you aware that
> the Great lakes mercury control program identifies dental amalgam waste
> from drains a major source of toxicity in the lakes?
> Since you are a chemist you might like http://www.amalgam.org/

       vide supra