From Keith Addison:
http://www.alternet.org/story/33896/
Bring the Sixties Out of the Closet
By Don Hazen, AlterNet. Posted March 23, 2006.
<skip to quote from Hazen's article>
"Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the '60s (actually the period
from '67 to '73) -- that political era so filled with possibility, so
much a part of the blood and souls of millions of aging baby boomers
like myself. The period was profoundly effective in the changes it
provoked, yet is so persistently pilloried for its exaggerated
excesses."
This brings back a wave of nostalgia for me.  I am 66 years old and from the so-called "silent generation" that preceded the baby boomers, but in 1972 this Oklahoman found himself campaigning for George McGovern on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.  McGovern lost to Nixon after which I was in a peaceful march on Washington with about 200,000 people coming in buses from up and down the East Coast on January 20, 1973, the day of Nixon's second inaugural.  Our march was a counter-event to the Nixon inauguration.  We were civil and at the Washington Monument we heard dignified speeches from Senator Philip Hart, Rep. Bella Abzug, songs and speaking from Pete Seeger, etc.  But in a typical 60's way, our day was cut short when Washington police on horseback scarily rode at fast gait though our group - breaking it up - in an overreaction to a few extremists, not with our group, burning some of the flags that surround the Washington Monument.
  -- Jack