[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> thsi is true that pool dealers mostly deal in muratic acid and not
> sulphuric. in my youth as a pool boy i have never seen sulphuric acid
> used in a pool. so it gets back to my problem of purchasing
> concentrated sulphuric acid since i am an individual and have no tax
> i.d. number.

In my search for local sources of lye, I came across several hardware
stores (Home Depot, ACE, OSH) which carry "concentrated sulfuric acid."
 If memory serves (I didn't pay close attention) it was for cleaning
septic tank lines, not drains, but was in the drain cleaner section of
the store.

I don't know if the label "concentrated sulfuric acid" is standardized,
but I thought it meant 95%-98%.  It was a liquid in a dark plastic
bottle with a further sealed plastic bag around it, with a warning label
affixed to the outer bag.

Something to check out, anyway.

-Johnathan