I was in New York City on the second anniversary of the invasion in Iraq. There was a sea of people that stretched for as far as one could see. The estimates were around 80,000.

80,000 loud and angry protestors and it barely made the news!

Mike

"D. Mindock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Gary,
Peaceful protests are seen by folks on the street. So there is a positive
effect. The media tends to downgrade the number of
protesters if it mentions them at all. If protests get really big, over
100,000 people, I can't see
how they can't be covered. If there is police action involved, I doubt
that'll get covered correctly.
The tendency is to make the protesters the guilty party whether true or not
& to give the police
sympathy. The mainstream media is terribly biased in favor of the officials
in every case. So, a
protest, because of the media's representation, could well backfire.
We have a bunch of Catch-22's here in the U$A. We could make progress in
the way of getting
a true representative government if:
we had a true watchguard media. Except for minor exceptions,
we don't.
we had real candidates. We do have a few progressives this time around.
(need election reform)
see: http://www.pdamerica.org/
we had representatives in Congress who valued the common man over
corporate interests. With
some exceptions, the majority is eager or at least amenable by arm twisting,
to do corporate bidding.
we had a fired up electorate which continuously harassed their Congress
reps. This is growing
and may our only hope. Is it at the point of critical ignition? Maybe. It
depends on the sensitvity
level of our reps. Do they fear not being re-elected enough to do something
constructive?
we had a reliable voting system. Some states have disavowed use of those
touchscreen machines
produced by partisan Repug owners. So this is improving. Legislation is in
Congress to give us a
voting system with reliable audit trail capabilty. Will it be passed in time
to get the machines
retrofitted in time for the November 2006 elections? I don't know. Since
Repugs likely will need
machines that could add some needed votes to get them over the top, they'd
benefit by dragging
their collective feet, something they excell in.
There is a groundswell of emotion against the Repugs this time around.
Five states are calling for the
impeachment of our War President. Getting some progressive
liberal Democrats into Congress, enough to give them the Democrats could
change things in a hurry.
Democrats like Liebermann and Clinton are like clinkers, not good for much.
But in any regard,
it could be the beginning of the end of corporate controlled Congress.
You'd have to say that overall, MLK was a positive agent of change.
Riots/fights are just about unavoidable
when you have two highly polarized groups. The riots showed that MLK was on
the correct path.
His speeches were works of spiritual art.
He was a pretty brave person, to walk out in front, with highly inflammed
people at the side of the parade, who
absolutely hated every cell in his body. His assassination was inevitable.
The U$A is not at peace with
itself. I still hear racial slurs these days. It is sickening. How can
people let fear and hate fester on for
decades?
Peace & progress, D. Mindock

[snip]