The tendancy to stomp on it because you've got so much power is the
enemy of mileage. My friend used to have a chipped TDI.  We could
still get 50mpg or better if we kept it below 70, but it was tempting
to go much faster... It got low 40's then.

Now we've both got non turbo rabbits -- you can hit 70 on a good day
on the flat with them....