From: "bob allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] FFA's as Weed Killer

  howdy Thomas

I am a little surprised that a dilute solution of ffa's would have any
impact on plant life over a 24 hour period. My guess is that your
solution contains more than ffa's.  What is the pH ? how about total
dissolved solids, ie salts ?  Do you have any idea of the concentration
of the ffa (in water I assume)?

Thomas Kelly wrote:
>    I've been gardening for over 30 years by essentially "building dirt"
> and caring for my plants from the ground up.
> I've been know to chop off a weed's head now and again or yank them from
> the ground. I've squished "bugs" by the thousands and lured others to
> deadly traps. I've never used a spray that has any real obvious results
> (dead insects or "weeds").
>    I've been splitting my glycerine co-product into FFA's, potassium
> (and some sodium) phosphate, and crude glycerine.
>    Yesterday I sprayed FFA's on some weeds in an area of the garden that
> hasn't been turned yet. Today they appear to be dying. It didn't seem to
> discriminate ... dandelions, wild mustard, plantain, grass .... all
> withering.
>    I'm a bit taken back. The sprays I concoct from chives, peppers,
> mulberry leaves etc. are intended to repel/discourage pests. I don't see
> any corpses. It's more a matter of faith or delusion that they are
> working ... I don't care which. Weeds involve physical removal and
> discouragement with thick mulch.
>      The "weeds" sprayed w. FFA's appear to be in serious trouble only
> 24 hrs after spraying. What is the mechanism of FFA action on plants?
> Does it act on the lipid component of the cell membranes? Is it systemic
> or just act on the point of contact - the leaves. If it only acts on the
> leaves, will new shoots be sent up?
>      If FFA's are non-toxic, biodegradable, and effective weed killers,
> it would be very good news to an aging gardener who turns each section
> of the garden by hand, meticulously picking out the weeds. I don't mind
> the turning, countless tons of compost over the years has turned shallow
> hard-pan clay into beautiful rich soil that takes little effort to turn.
> It's the bending to pick the "weeds" that gets to my back.
>      I believe Todd Swearingen and Prof. Bob Allen have both mentioned
> FFA's as weed killer.
>      My back thanks you,
>                                                     Tom

> messages):

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman

messages):