Charles,
     Originally you wrote:
"I have just scaled up to a 150l processor ..... "
"I have done as suggested on JtF and scaled up slowly, learning as I go.
Unfortunately, my first couple of big
batches (using creamy canola oil) have not gone so well"

     At what point did you start having problems?
     In other words how did you progress? (25L?  50L?  etc.) leading up to
150L.
     I would suggest that you learn and then perform quality tests described
at JTF (in addition to the "wash test") as you scale up. Checking to see if
the BD is soluble in methanol (JTF: "Quality Testing") is as easy as
performing the "wash test". Pass or fail, use the methanol from the test in
your next batch.
      Using quality tests on my BD as I scaled up allowed me to tweak the
process (volume of WVO, temp, time).
The limit for my processor seems to be about 91L.

     Following misinformation from another group, I scaled up to 130L
batches, only to find out, after learning about quality testing at JTF, that
I was NOT making quality fuel.
My batches passed the "wash test", but failed upon reprocessing (1L), and
also failed the methanol solubility test.
     This poor quality fuel (incomplete reactions) had been poured into my
into my heating oil tank  ---> roughly 30% BD : 70% petro. While I was away
the burner failed to start. Fuel had "leaked" out onto the floor. The
service tech told my wife that the nozzle had some "crap" on it  ---->
sputtering fuel that dribbled out onto the floor. The electrodes also had
some coking.
     I suspect that poor quality fuel can be burned in a boiler, but may
need preheating and pump pressure  increased. I had to replace the nozzle
twice more as well as clean the electrodes, while adding only quality BD to
the tank. After using good BD I had no problems w. a 30% blend, w/o any
modifications to the burner.
     I now use 100% biodiesel to heat my house and to heat water. At about
50 - 60% BD I had some start-up problems, corrected by increasing pump
pressure, nozzle change, and decreasing air flow.

     I've never tried to reprocess a BD-petro blend.

                          Best of luck,
                                     Tom