JJJN wrote:

>Hello folks, any organic lawn experts out there?  I have been
>encroaching out  75% of my lawn with food plants  for both wildlife and
>humans, but I still have this 25% and living in town  I  need to  keep
>it lawn.  the question is how does one raise a great lawn without weed
>killers etc?  I have been wondering , can you take compost and grind it
>really fine and spread it on the lawn water it in?  Would this be good?

    I don't think this is "off topic", as it relates directly to the
mentality of "dirt as a growing medium" that is so pervasive and lies at
the root of much difficulty in our society.  I've actually had a "lawn
professional" suggest that I rip out my lawn and replace it with
garden.  "You seem to be more successful at growing vegetables than
grass," he said.

    I've aereated my lawn this year and watered with mixture of compost
tea and "organic compost enhancement liquid".  It's much greener and
healthier than it's been in the past, but this method still smacks of
replacing chemical fertilizers with non chemical fertilizers.

    It's not that I hate grass, but I'm NOT pleased with the monoculture
mentality that insists it must be of a uniform species.  When we first
bought this property it was covered in grasses that were long and made a
lovely sound as the seed heads touseled in the wind.  But now, I keep
the motley collection of grasses that pass for lawn on my property
trimmed to 55 millimeters.  If anyone has better ideas for lawn
maintenance that will not raise the ire of my neighbors (who already
think I'm weird), please let me know.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind