Chris Lloyd wrote:

>Some compost has virtually no ability to fertilise anything, I got caught
>out this year with the half ton I got for growing tomatoes in. It was
>supposed to be composted household waste and tree leaves, looked good, smelt
>good and will probably make a good soil improver but I had to start adding
>chicken poo to save the tomatoes. Perhaps the nutrients got washed out of it
>but I'm going back to rotted horse manure next year.   Chris

    I've found that the commercial composts are sterilized with heat to
kill weed seeds.  This also kills all of the soil fauna, which is
responsible for fertility.  I made that mistake once, and since then
I've relied on my own compost.  My trees are happier (though I'm STILL
have insect and fruit problems) and look far more lush than they have in
the past.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind