Keith Addison wrote:

>Nicotine will kill everything else too, including the bugs that eat
>the bugs eating your grapevines. It won't kill the vines though.
>
>Best
>
>Keith

    This is why the whole  "pest management" approach is fundamentally
flawed.  Plants should be able to tolerate mild infestation, and a
system in balance should provide predators to keep the overall pest
numbers down.  I don't want to kill the wasps and ladybeetles that feed
on the aphids infesting my plum trees.  I want the trees healthy enough
to deal with insect pests on their own.

    We have fruit on our plum trees for the first time!  (Yeah!)  But
the ONE pear on our pear tree has fallen off, and the cherry tree has
produced two cherries this year, one of which also fell off.  The pink
dogwood I planted for my sweetheart in our front yard looks far
healthier than ever, and there's a ring of very dark grass around its
drip line.  That grass sends its side roots into the compost I've put
beneath the dogwood tree, and as a result, has become the best looking
grass on my property!

    My saintly mother-in-law came over for a visit yesterday and
commented on how good our yard is looking.  I haven't sprayed any of our
trees this year because I want to see how well compost treatment works
to strengthen them.  She thinks we've learned a lot about soil
remediation, and the evidence can be seen in vigorous growth and blossoming.

    Now, if only I could make enough compost to cover the entire lawn . . .

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.newadventure.ca