From: Kirk McLoren
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; biofuel
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 7:00 PM
Subject: [Biofuel] Vanadium battery

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/04/the_vanadium_ba.php

A new mass energy storage technology is on the cusp of entering mainstream
society. The Japanese are currently using it on a grand scale, the Canadians
have comprehensively evaluated it and soon Australians will have the
opportunity to replace their old lead-acid batteries with a Vanadium Redox
Battery alternative. There are no emissions, no disposal issues, no loss of
charge, the construction materials are 'green' and the battery can be
charged and discharged simultaneously. So, is the Vanadium Battery as good
as it sounds and more importantly, is it the solution to our energy storage
problems?
Quite simply...Yes.
The potential of this system can be easily summed up in one word: 100%
recharge/discharge. Well that's slightly more than one word, but still it is
an impressive group of words. I'm a little excited here, so let me back
track a little and explain the importance of Vanadium Batteries to our very
existence.
It has been possible for quite some time to successfully gather energy
through a variety of renewable energy sources, in particular solar and wind.
The main problem however, which is also true for fossil fuel energy
generation, is the storage of the energy. There is no point in generating
surplus uber-watts on one sunny and windy day to find the next day is still
and raining and worst of all there is no power to play the new DVD of
Stainless Steel Rat on your suped-up 80 inch LCD screen (sorry...just
wishful thinking). If the energy cannot be stored on the day of bountiful
bliss than a renewable energy system is useless.
<snip>