Hi Bob

You say:

>... The reason for starting from the moment when UNO accepted Israel
>as a member (in other words as a legally constituted legitimate
>state) was in my view the only possible point of departure. There
>are many others, but none so clearly legitimised as the moment when
>the most modern international organisation we had then in existence
>chose to do so. ...

Previous:

>And if you've forgotten how it all began, here's a brief sketch. I found it
>on my thumbnail...

It all began in 1948? That's like saying a person's life only begins
when they turn 21 and anything before that is irrelevant (or didn't
even happen maybe).

Prior to 1948 you don't have to go all the way back to Moses to find
another important event, there's this one for instance, in 1917:

http://ajedrez_democratico.tripod.com/balfour_declaration.htm
The Balfour Declaration
A history of perfidy and betrayal in the Mideast gives insight into
the motivations behind the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
By Dr. Robert John

That's in the archives, along with much else that takes all the wind
out of your arguments (along with Bill Blum's latest piece, just
posted separately).

Why not explain how it is that the US has vetoed just about every UN
resolution on Israel since then? (Lists in the archives.) Or how it
is that Ariel Sharon could announce in Israel that the US would do
exactly what he told it to, and then went to the White House and
proved it? Eg:

"I want to tell you something very clear, don't worry about American
pressure on Israel, we, the Jewish people control America, and the
Americans know it."-- Ariel Sharon to Shimon Peres, October 3rd,
2001, as reported on Kol Yisrael radio.

http://www.fpif.org/commentary/2004/0406sharon.html
Foreign Policy In Focus | Global Affairs Commentary |
Congress Overwhelmingly Endorses Ariel Sharon's Annexation Plans
By Stephen Zunes | June 25, 2004
"The vote, therefore, constitutes nothing less than an overwhelming
bipartisan renunciation of the post-World War II international
system, effectively recognizing the right of conquest."

Or why US academics Mearsheimer and Walt recently had to publish a
foreign policy article on Israel in the London Review of Books
because it could not be published in the Land of the Free?

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/mear01_.html
LRB | John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt : The Israel Lobby

Now why would that be?

We've been through all this here, most definitively in the "Oil and
Israel" thread I referred you to. This is the original "Oil and
Israel" post:
http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg35017.html
[biofuel] Oil and Israel

One hundred and twenty posts in that thread, through fire and
brimstone to get it all sorted out and in its proper perspective,
despite the vast amount of deliberate and very high-powered confusion
concerning Jews and Israel and Judaism and anti-Semitism when
actually what we're discussing is colonial Zionism and its
unconditional backing by the US.

Kind of sad to see it all being ignored in so many posts right now,
as if the list was born yesterday and we've never discussed this
before nor established some foundation for further discussion, and
that for just the reasons Bill Blum states.

These are some of the things that thread and others covered:

Tanya Reinhart is a much-published Israeli professor (Tel Aviv
University and the University of Utrecht) who wrote a book called
"Israel/Palestine: How To End The War Of 1948". There's an interview
with her here:
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=50&ItemID=2595
Interview With Tanya Reinhart

"... the Gaza strip, where 6000 Israeli settlers occupy one third of
the land, and a million Palestinians are crowded in the rest. As
years went by since Oslo, Israel extended the "Arab-free" areas in
the occupied Palestinian territories to about 50% of the land.  Labor
circles began to talk about the "Alon Plus" plan, namely - more lands
to Israel. However, it appeared that they would still allow some
Palestinian self-rule in the other 50%, under conditions similar to
the Bantustans in South Africa."

That's all changed since 1999. Reinhart makes it clear that what has
been happening is opposed by the majority of Israelis. Three chapters
of her book are online:
http://www.tau.ac.il/~reinhart/books_ME/index.html

She wrote this too:
http://zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=22&ItemID=1805
Jenin- The Propaganda War

And this:
http://www.redress.btinternet.co.uk/treinhart5.htm
Sharon's Gaza plan and the freedom to starve and kill

Also this:
http://www.redress.btinternet.co.uk/treinhart3.htm
The reality behind Sharon's Gaza withdrawal plan

These are the views of Rabbi Weiss on Israel:
http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2003-08/26/article11.shtml
Zionism, Israel Threat to Peace

http://www.nkusa.org/activities/Speeches/nyc051404weiss.cfm
Declaration on 'Zionism and the State of Israel" - May 14, 2004

And there's these:

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2004-05/02/article03.shtml
Jewish Historian Questions Israel Legitimacy

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/
Jews Against Zionism

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020520&s=lerner
Jews for Justice

And this:

Also:

-- Come September, Arundhati Roy, September 29, 2002
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=2404

She also said this, remember it Bob?

>In 1937, Winston Churchill said of the Palestinians, I quote, "I do
>not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger
>even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not
>admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong
>has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of
>Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people
>by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more
>worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their
>place." That set the trend for the Israeli State's attitude towards
>the Palestinians. In 1969, Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir said,
>"Palestinians do not exist." Her successor, Prime Minister Levi
>Eschol said, "What are Palestinians? When I came here (to
>Palestine), there were 250,000 non-Jews, mainly Arabs and Bedouins.
>It was a desert, more than underdeveloped. Nothing." Prime Minister
>Menachem Begin called Palestinians "two-legged beasts." Prime
>Minister Yitzhak Shamir called them "grasshoppers" who could be
>crushed. This is the language of Heads of State, not the words of
>ordinary people.

Here's another version of "How It All Began":

Truman and Israel
How It All Began
By Harry Clark

And so on and so on. But never mind all that, eh? It all comes down
to the same tired old usual suspect who so often gets wrongly
convicted on this sort of count, that it's just dear old human nature
to go on and on killing each other forever:

>The Geneva Convention and international law on human rights, in fact
>even the recognition that humans have rights, all stem from
>international agreements - in short a backing away from survival of
>the fittest. However, what I said was that we are still savages
>under the skin. And those of us still around are demonstrations of
>our fitness to survive the ongoing competition for space and land.
>Our international agreements are but fragile protection against our
>instincts.

That was the Victorian view and it survived on to the American
playwright Robert Ardrey's work in the 60s:

>Ardrey "proved" all men are not created equal in The Social
>Contract, that man has an innate drive to defend his property in The
>Territorial Imperative, that man has a killer instinct in African
>Genesis, and in The Hunting Hypothesis he completes his defamation
>and derogation of humanity by just as unimpressively proving that
>the male of the species was, is, and will always be a hunter.
>
>Ardrey's main thesis is that mankind was born in Africa over 2
>million years ago, and for most of that two million years the
>species' success has been largely dependant on its ability to kill.
>Without that underlying hard edge the species would have vanished
>aeons ago along with all the others that failed to survive. And only
>if we take that unpalatable truth about ourselves into account can
>modern mankind be truly understood.

But not since then - eg:

http://snipurl.com/o8fg
Foreign Affairs
A Natural History of Peace
By Robert M. Sapolsky
 From Foreign Affairs, January/February 2006

 From the NYT:
http://ranprieur.com/crash/baboons.html
No Time for Bullies: Baboons Retool Their Culture

Please see:
http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg61070.html
Re: [Biofuel] Fw: "How To Steal an Election"

But the Victorian mythology lives on in zombi fashion mainly via
large infusions of corporate PR money, along with the rest of the
neo-liberal crap:

>"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits
>and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic
>society," Bernays argued. "Those who manipulate this unseen
>mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the
>true ruling power of our country. . . . In almost every act of our
>daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our
>social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the
>relatively small number of persons . . . who understand the mental
>processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the
>wires which control the public mind."

>This definition of "democratic society" is itself a contradiction in
>terms--a theoretical attempt to reconcile rule by the few with the
>democratic system which threatened (and still threatens) the
>privileges and powers of the governing elite.
-- From: The Father of Spin: Edward L. Bernays & The Birth of PR,
Larry Tye, book review by John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton
http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1999Q2/bernays.html

An empowered public - God forbid! The masses can't be trusted to make
their own decisions, they need "guidance", don't you know.

Try this instead, all is explained (well, the conclusions need some
expansion, coming soon):

http://journeytoforever.org/rrlib/greenspan.html
Toward a Psychology of Interdependency
A Framework for Understanding Global Conflict and Cooperation
Stanley I. Greenspan, M.D. and Stuart G. Shanker, D.Phil.

>... The basic assertion is that we exist in
>a state of nature where it is eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, and
>that the only way to contain this brutality is through the social
>contract of laws that insure a commodious life. This outdated and
>psychologically uninformed political philosophy is the basis for
>present day policymaking that intends  to repress and contain what
>would otherwise be a dangerous population of potential miscreants. Laws
>from this orientation seek to make consequences as a deterrent against
>the dangerous nature that is within us.
>
>I agree with Kieth's assertions that people do many good and
>cooperative things all the time, and the suggestion that this is the
>norm. People want to help each other, which makes a lot of sense for
>obvious reasons. Research confirms what some of us don't already know:
>that people are naturally cooperative. How then do we account for those
>who profit at the expense of the commonweal?Well, the dictionary
>defines sociopathic personality  n : a personality disorder
>characterized by amorality and lack of affect; capable of violent acts
>without guilt feelings. Consider recent corporate and US policy...
-- Jai Haissman:
http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg30705.html

We humans are just fine, until we make the mistake of believing that
the behaviour of our governments and corporations is human, just the
same as us. There's a LOT of pressure to believe that, especially in
the industrialised socities, and especially in the US.

However, along with everything else, an elegantly watertight study
made in Britain at the height of the Thatcher era found that most
people would make sacrifices, including money sacrifices, in order
that someone they didn't know, hadn't seen, knew nothing about and
knew they'd never meet might have a higher opinion of them. There's
plenty to show that that is a more powerful "instinct" than the
so-called law of the jungle and survival of the fittest (NOT
necessarily the strongest), and the most common way of achieving it
is by generosity, not grasping and taking whatever you want because
"might is right". Not even cavemen thought that way.

As it turns out, the law of the jungle doesn't even apply in the
jungle - the mythical tooth-and-nail competition for survival is
there to be found, to be sure, but it's only about 5% of what happens
in jungles, and moreover it happens within the context of the other
95%, which turns out to be symbiosis - cooperation, not competition.

Human societies are much the same, left to themselves, they cooperate
- until they encounter the problem of power, which is what you're
talking about, not human nature at all. Please see:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg32878.html
Re: [biofuel] The Oil we eat (Harper's)

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg31874.html
[biofuel] The Oil We Eat: Following the food chain back to Iraq
(Richard Manning's original)

So.

I'm not going to allow further discussion of Israel that doesn't take
account of the foregoing, our previous work here with this issue, one
reason being that establishing a framework where it could be
discussed without distortion simply cost us too much.

So go ahead - but do your homework first.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan
http://journeytoforever.org/