i was reading around after i asked this question, and it seems to me
that the stalks carry a huge portion of the sugar for a time, and then
store it in the roots, and that the more efficient way to collect it is
to cut the stalks like sorghum and the plant (which is basically a weed)
can re-sprout for one or two more cuttings yielding between 250 and 350
gal/acre per cutting. it isnt really a better supply, it is just a way
to take advantage of the extremely short growing time to its best
potential. and then after the fuel harvest is over, you can thin out the
root stock so you dont have to worry about being overrun by these huge
plants (they are perennial, and it takes quite a bit to kill them,
volunteers are the norm).
does anyone know where i can find some of these things? i want to try
growing a couple.