Marylynn Schmidt wrote:

> Quite long but interesting.

    Quite long, indeed!

    Here's a quote:

       Dr. Johnson says on page 17, "We agree that it would be
desirable to remove mercury from U.S. licensed vaccines, but we did not
agree that this was a universal recommendation that we would make because
of the issue concerning preservatives for delivering vaccines to other
countries, particularly developing countries, in the absence of hard data
that implied that there was in fact a problem."

    In other words, there isn't any hard evidence of a problem.  Vaccine
preservatives have been used since the 1930's, so we should be seeing a
very large impact across the population.  If the follow-up study in the
Seychelles indicates poor recall among children exposed to environmental
mercury from fish, we should be noting a corresponding decline in memory
function among immunized people elsewhere, if in fact, exposure to
thimerosal in vaccines can be equated with the dietary intake of
mercury-contaminated fish.  (Can it be?)

    So if the link between thimerosal and developmental defects, ADD and
other cognitive problems is causal, why do we not see generalized
evidence of this within the population?  I've been immunized, as have my
sisters, my wife, her brother and his wife, and all of our children, yet
none of us exhibits any symptoms of impaired neurodevelopment.

    I don't want to dismiss you, nor do I wish to stop the recent
discussion.  It seems, however, that we have a camp of people who find
danger in Western medicine and seem very willing to discard the entire
corpus of knowledge humanity has developed from the occidental
perspective.  I think the case in the article is overstated.  For example:

       "In other words, both of these studies tell us nothing about the
actual
development of these children's brain function except that they reached the
most basic of milestones. To put this another way, your child may be able
to stack blocks, recognize shapes and have basic language skills but later
in life they could be significantly impaired when it came to higher math,
more advanced language skills (comprehension) and ability to compete in a
very competitive intellectual environment, like college or advanced
schooling. Their future would be limited to the more mundane and
intellectually limited jobs."

    That may be true with or without exposure to thimerosal in
vaccines.  I work with children who have learning disabilities, and it's
not possible to uncover a singular cause that explains the breadth and
depth of learning issues in children.  Often, multiple causes synergize,
ranging from utterly ineffective teaching all the way down the scale to
serious, organic brain dysfunction.

    I had no trouble and no regret authorizing vaccinations for my
children.  Neither of them suffer from neurological problems.  They're
doing well in school, too.  Yet I've talked to clients whose children
are the same ages as mine, who attribute their children's learning
difficulties to vaccinations.  When I ask these concerned parents about
diet, sleep, exercise and water consumption, they're very quick to
dismiss any link between something as obvious as sleep and their child's
brain development.

    Sigh . . .

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"