Ok this is the part I don't get.  You keep saying there in a massive cohort of subjects walking around with amalgams and how come we aren't seeing a problem, and I'm telling you there's a massive cohort of subjects and we are seeing problems. I can't prove it is the amalgam and you can't prove it's not.  And it has nothing to do with a coverup or conspiracy by the medical association cause they don't know for sure either.( but there is the precautionary principle right?)  At the time amalgams were first used they seemed like a wonderful solution. Trans fat was going to be the solution to a problem as well remember? All I'm saying is that one day when you say to yourself 'crap, I just found out that I should wear gloves when I change the engine oil on my car cause there's stuff in there that can harm me if I get it on my skin' then you wear gloves right?  You don't go on getting motor oil all over your hands.  But maybe if you're an unscrupulous garage owner you don't bother to tell your mechanics about the issue because then you have to do something for them and it might cut into your profits. Unfortunately I'm just as skeptical of UV cure epoxies as I am now of the amalgam I have in my head.  Epoxy is the new wonderful solution but it has even less of a track record. Gold is probably fine but then I have to be careful next time I go to the third world walking around with that gold flashing in my mouth.  If I go porcelain my buds will accuse me of having a glass jaw and what can I say? Ahh you can't win.  Stay away from candy kiddies!

Joe

robert and benita rabello wrote:
Joe Street wrote:
Hi Robert;

Yeah I got your point.  My point was that people are making claims ( please for the moment don't pull a 'show me the data' .... just for argument's sake allow me this for a moment) they are making claims that just maybe a large upswing in the occurrance of certain diseases may be related to long term effects of low level exposure to certain toxins, mercury being one of the suspects.  Sure it's complicated by rising levels of all kinds of unhealthy things in trace concentrations in our environment, the air we breathe and the water we drink, the food supply.

    The overall impact of environmental insults is very difficult to determine.  As Keith pointed out, the SYNERGY of these chemicals may be related to a host of human ills, and our methods for identifying cause / effect relationships remains weak in many cases.  But saying a negative correlation exists simply because I THINK it exists smacks of superstition.

    I grew up in Los Angeles during the 1960's, and I remember how TERRIBLE the air was back then.  It burned my eyes and made me short of breath.  It killed the trees in the Angeles National Forest and caused serious trouble for kids and elderly folk with asthma.  Yet the auto makers refused to accept the correlation between car exhaust and smog.  There were scientific studies and public hearings, court cases and a flurry of media attention before the state finally FORCED auto makers to address the issue.

    Without evidence, however, nothing would have changed.

    The same type of problem exists on your end of the continent with respect to pollution from factories and refineries.  We have a huge backlog of investigating to do with respect to the garbage we're putting into our air, water, food and environment.  But labeling a whole host of health problems on dental fillings serves no purpose but to make concerns over environmental problems sound like the rantings of Inquisitors hunting witches.

  Maybe that's the big picture here. Check with fisheries on the guidelines for those fish you are pulling out of the Fraser for example. So maybe the body of evidence is massive and right there in front of us. Questionmark.
Check out what this SFU paper has to say about mercury levels in the Fraser watershed and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) the ones that can slip into your DNA helix and have fun with your cellular reproduction.

http://www.rem.sfu.ca/FRAP/aquae.pdf

    Ugh!  Now I'm not going to be able sleep tonight!  (insert sarcastic tone) Thanks a lot, Joe . . .  : - )

    Adult salmon don't eat on their way back to spawn, but their offspring are certainly exposed to toxins in the water as they grow and move out to the sea.  Moreover, the problem of biomagnification ensures that whatever it is we're dumping into the air and water will come back to haunt us in our food.

All of these things play a role I am certain but the real world is not a closed carefully controlled lab environment so what can be said in a scientific manner?

    Indeed, it's not.  That's one reason to avoid putting unnatural substances into the environment, or increasing the concentrations of substances known to cause us harm.
  I am reminded of post docs here in my lab who run plasma processes that have several variables that are wildly out of control and while they tweak one of those variables and they get one device on their wafer out of a hundred at the end which has a desireable characteristic they then assume it is due to their matrix of values for this one variable and not to some chance confluence of uncontrolled parameters.  They realize it later ( after they have published) that they have the devils own time trying to reproduce it!  ROFL. Are you going to put a bunch of humans in a cage and control everything they are exposed to over their lifetime?  When you hear that something you have been eating, drinking, or smoking is potentially harmful do you stop consuming it, or do you wait to get sick so you have your own personal data?  How fanatic do you need to be in your adherence to the dogma of the church of reason?

    Ah, but I've been attending that church for so long, it's habitual now!  It's very hard to escape the influence of education and environment.

(impact of mercury exposure)
ISOLATED?  No, not beyond a reasonable doubt, not out here in the real, complicated world. Maybe in a 50 year lab experiment with real human subjects, or maybe with rats that have an 80 year life expectancy if they existed.

    We've got several generations of human beings exposed to mercury amalgams now.  It's a HUGE population sample.  If there was a direct, causal relationship between amalgams and health problems, it should be showing up by this point.  I simply don't buy the conspiracy theory that the dental associations are trying to cover up some heinous truth and suppress data concerning amalgam fillings.  There are other materials used to fill holes in teeth, including porcelain and gold, which are inert, and are used worldwide.  The reason dentists fill holes with amalgam is that it's easy to work with, it's less expensive than gold, and (like real tooth material) it has a certain amount of "give", which is not true of porcelain.

But see my comments above.  What is isolated in the real world? Read up on the mental health effects of exposure to mercury vapour. Is there a correlation? Perhaps? Ever heard the _expression_ "mad as a hatter"?  Felt hats used to be made with mercury. Is contemplating suicide a form of madness?

    Next time my neighbors complain that I'm crazy, I'll tell them it's because of my amalgam fillings!  : - )

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.newadventure.ca

Ranger Supercharger Project Page
http://www.members.shaw.ca/rabello/

_______________________________________________ Biofuel mailing list Biofuel@sustainablelists.org http://sustainablelists.org/mailman/listinfo/biofuel_sustainablelists.org Biofuel at Journey to Forever: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000 messages): http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/