Jan, Ken,
I have pushed the procedure to double the acid amount in the first phase,
dewatered and went to the second phase (base base) in small batches without
problem.  I suggest testing in small amounts and working up a procedure that
fits the product. This will take some time to do but when you get "it" you
can get repeatbility thereafter.  I did use Venturi acid introduction so
that perhaps makes a big difference as well.

Jim