>That it's so prevalent - it's like a Hydra-headed monster

True, too true. But it takes me back to a couple of things Kirk said:
"most of the population is hypnotized - I am not sure how you would
deprogram them."

Actually I don't think it's most (30 million?), but they're certainly
very noisy. Very thoroughly spun, and not just about this. Trouble
with spun people is that the spin doesn't deal with stuff like facts
but with emotions, and it's subliminal. The intention is to make you
want to believe things rather than to argue the case - then it's you
who does the arguing for "them", much more effective.

But in six years of dealing with all this crap here (and elsewhere) I
haven't yet seen what you could call an argument. I've even bemoaned
the fact, almost begged for a good counter-argument rather than what
we invariably get instead - denial, and anger. Only agreement is
acceptable.

This, eg:

> >>A very few years ago, there were serious scientific discussions and
> >>popular magazine covers regarding global *cooling* and an "approaching
> >>ice age." Now, the existence of global warming prompts "scientists" to
> >>attempt to drum out of the corps of science those who dare question
> >>the current cant--that "of course" we have global warming and "of
> >>course" we humans are contributing to it.

A Pentagon report of a couple of years ago sees a sudden and
catastrophic Hamaker-style ice-age triggered by initial global
warming as a possibility that should be planned for. Try telling him
that, see what happens. Here you go:
http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg32418.html
[biofuel] Weathering the Crisis - World Bank, Pentagon: global warming r

>I'm often told by readers of their encounters with Americans who
>support the outrages of US foreign policy no matter what facts are
>presented to them, no matter what arguments are made, no matter how
>much the government's statements are shown to be false. Included
>amongst their number are those who still believe that Iraq had a
>direct involvement in the events of September 11, that Saddam
>Hussein had close ties to al Qaeda, and/or that weapons of mass
>destruction were indeed found in Iraq after the 2003 invasion.
>      My advice is to forget such people. They would support the
>outrages even if the government came to their homes, seized their
>first born, and hauled them away screaming, as long as the
>government assured them it was essential to fighting terrorism (or
>communism). My (very) rough guess is that they constitute no more
>than 15 percent of the population. I suggest that we concentrate on
>the rest, who are reachable. [more]
http://members.aol.com/bblum6/aer31.htm
The Anti-Empire Report
Some things you need to know before the world ends
March 22, 2006
by William Blum

So how are you (you Americans) to deal with your Hydra-headed
monster? The rest of us don't like him/them/it, I'm sure you've
noticed.

Best

Keith